+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Grounding boxes - The real deal

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that. At last, a simple and concise explanation for what these boxes are purported to do! If this in fact is what's happening:

Quote Originally Posted by Duckworp View Post
    Most audio engineers put a lot of effort into making sure the positive and negative rails of their DC power supplies have low ripple and noise, adequate bandwidth, etc. but typically not much thought is put into the signal ground plane.
    CAD believes that reducing high frequency noise on Signal Ground and Earth improves sound quality.
    ...*and*, crucially, this grounding box (and others like it) successfully address that issue [and I'd like to see evidence of how], then I could see why they'd work. However, why does it need to cost as much as £800 to produce?

Marco.

P.S Dennis, another excellent post, on a subject that's dear to both of our hearts! I shall reply later
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

It might be simple and concise but not much use if it is meaningless.

Not seen anything so far to persuade me that subtraction, rather than addition, is what causes the effect. Addition is far more likely from a theoretical position.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Not for me. Sorry, I don't buy the notion of it adding noise, and that somehow this makes making things sound better, as it's counter-intuitive. For me, that's a dead end. If that's what it did, then chances are I'd hate it, as I dislike adding any unnecessary coloration.

That bit I've highlighted above makes perfect sense, given my considerable experience in other areas of eradicating similar types of noise, *if* it can be conclusively proven that what's stated is fact. However, it would be enough reason for me to investigate further, but it would have to be at considerably lower cost.

I might ask Duncan to knock one up for me, based upon the electrical principles stated, then report back!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Not for me. Sorry, I don't buy the notion of it adding noise, and that somehow this makes making things sound better, as it's counter-intuitive. For me, that's a dead end. If that's what it did, then chances are I'd hate it, as I dislike adding any unnecessary coloration.

That bit I've highlighted above makes perfect sense, given my considerable experience in other areas of eradicating similar types of noise, *if* it can be conclusively proven that what's stated is fact. However, it would be enough reason for me to investigate further, but it would have to be at considerably lower cost.

I might ask Duncan to knock one up for me, based upon the electrical principles stated, then report back!

Marco.
    I agree it is counter-intuitive but some things are.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dither

'Dither is an intentionally applied form of noise used to randomize quantization error, preventing large-scale patterns such as color banding in images. Dither is routinely used in processing of both digital audio and video data, and is often one of the last stages of mastering audio to a CD.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Yup, but I wouldn't use anything in my system that didn't produce a beneficial effect on *music*, for the right reasons - and my ears would soon tell me, either instantly or through time, by using the device concerned, if any improvement perceived was genuine or not.

*Everything* I do in hi-fi, or for my system, is for the purpose of 'opening the window' as widely as possible, thus maximising resolution and realism, not the opposite!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adrian.

this explanation is quite interesting

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    Accepting that these things work, and Firebottle has an inkling of how, would they work in a balanced system using xlr’s etc?
    Yup.
    TAD - TAD, see below
    All wonderful
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm Mike.

Pressured by my lust to get more out of the music I got rid of my Coherent RTZ 2 yesterday.

Replaced by a Coherent RTZ 3

When I first heard what was going on a I said a rude Anglo Saxon word

The RTZ 3 is staying. The step up in sound quality was not subtle.
    Black too so must be wonderful

First Grounding Box virgin visits me next week.
    Be interesting to hear his thoughts
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

So basicaly what your saying is; the box is attracting random frequencies from the air, and imposing them on the Ground, or 0 volt rail of the equipment its connected to ?
    A bit like how a crystal set works, [basicaly a tuned circuit that plucks frequencies out of the air] and powers a small ear piece, or headphones.
    I am more inclined to think that it is more likely to be equaling the earth or 0 volt potential of each piece of kit that's connected to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

'Dither is an intentionally applied form of noise used to randomize quantization error, preventing large-scale patterns such as color banding in images. Dither is routinely used in processing of both digital audio and video data, and is often one of the last stages of mastering audio to a CD.'
    "Today scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments, and they wander off through equation after equation, and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality"
    Nikola Tesla

Its now a conspiracy theory to believe that the Immune system is capable of doing the job it was designed to do.
    A fish is only as healthy as the water its swimming in ! [Dr Robert Young]

www.tubedistinctions.co.uk

Matthew 5:10

I'm Joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

And this is the thing; you might not necessarily know if something is added or taken away within the signal, as demonstrated by Macca's link, unless it is truly detrimental to the sound and bloody obvious

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 71 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast