+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Classic Speaker Upgrade

I'm Tony.

Default Classic Speaker Upgrade

One for the collective wisdom of AOS' classic speaker gurus...

I have a niggling urge to try an alternative '70's style' speaker priced up to around £500, as a replacement for my current Mordaunt Short MS 400.

Firstly is this something worth doing for that kind of money?

I like the transparency, detail, scale and ease of driving that my current floor standers give for the limited output from my EL84 amp but am obsessing that I could be getting more (ever the hifi curse).

Current setup is ALLO Katana DAC through Icon Audio Stereo 20PP amp (with decent valves).

Any thoughts or comments on the following (or viable alternatives) will be valued...

• Spendor BC1
    • Spendor SP1
    • Celestion Ditton 25
    • Celestion Ditton 33
    • Celestion Ditton 44
    • B&W DM2
    • B&W DM3
    • B&W DM4
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Adrian.

Not on your list but these are worth trying

https://www.gumtree.com//p/other-ste...ers/1334646753

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223428478396?ul_noapp=true if you go for these then a pair of Pirate stands or equivalent is a must, I have a pair of Type J's and used with Audio Innovations 500 amp (EL84) and was great. (someone else has some Snells up for sale on AoS)
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Adrian.

Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I'm Geoff.

There's a pair of Tannoy Eatons in North London about an hour from you. These sound really good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Ea...53.m1438.l2649

However, personally, I'd spend the money on an amp upgrade. I've owned the Stereo 20PP and it's not exactly the liveliest sounding EL84 amp I've used.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

I'm not keen on any of those on your list. None of them are bad speakers but I wouldn't rate any as good. Icon amps sound a bit 'cloggy' to me so I'd be looking for a speaker that is a bit more lively.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Tony.

I can only assume it's either a room/component synergy thing or my subjective preference but I'm really liking the sound this amp produces in my current room. I can listen to this thing for hours and it seems to be getting better with each upgrade of source.

The combination of the Genalex Gold Lion 12AX7 & 12AU7 together with the Reflektor EL84 seems to give me exactly the type of sound I'm enjoying, so I'm not in a rush to replace this just now.

My listening tends to be at fairly low volume levels (being a considerate neighbour ), so I guess the transparency, resolution and natural vocals at fairly low volume are probably the most important things to me in this setup.

I'm starting to suspect I should just leave things alone and wait until I'm in the house before I start looking at this again, then I can start looking at the weightier options as far as the amp and speakers are concerned.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Adrian.

These would work well with your amp, very neutral and natural sounding https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...evamped-by-RFC

I'm Gary.

Pretty sure the OP said his budget was £500, I doubt he could knock the sellers of the £850 & £1000 speakers down that much lol
    Marantz CD63 KI Signature
    Project Debut II
    Pioneer A656 Reference
    Epos M5s
    Atacama Stands
    Maplin speaker cable cos I can't hear a difference
    Various interconnects as above

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Pretty sure the OP said his budget was £500, I doubt he could knock the sellers of the £850 & £1000 speakers down that much lol
    Yeah, but once he's heard them the wallet and moths will fly, Resistance will be low.

I'm Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Yeah, but once he's heard them the wallet and moths will fly, Resistance will be low.
    Where's the 'flying pig' emoticon when you need it?

+ Reply to Thread