+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 512 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm john.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Aldi are great, Jon. Pick up a copy of their 'Sparkling Christmas Market' brochure, available in store, and buy anything in it, food or wine, with the absolute confidence that it will be more than bloody good!

Yup, we went to France earlier in the year and brought back about 150 bottles of wine, between the four of us, not including beer and cider, aperitifs or food - the car was heaving!

See here for some pics: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19867

Next year we'll be going to France again, but this time en-route to Italy, so the car will be even more heaving, with whole Parma hams and Parmesan cheeses, etc, not to mention some stunning Italian wines!!

Needless to say, in January, we're buying a bigger car!

Marco.

Very nice pic's mate most of them where good living pics restaurants..Not many bottles of wine marco only the ones you were drinking..Do you collect the on the way back?..I do not know about a bigger carYou need a transit van..lol

jon

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol... It'll likely be a BMW or Merc estate, dude, with a BIG roof-rack attached!! We like our creature comforts, too!

We buy the wine, as we're touring around the local area, from wherever we see it and it looks good, from some supermarkets, but also direct from vineyards or from small independent wine merchants in French towns, where you can *really* pick up some fab stuff! Fortunately I speak reasonably good French, so can explain what it is I'm looking for.

The wine that's bought is then taken back and stored at the hotel until the day we're leaving, when it's all packed with military precision into the car! Meanwhile, we enjoy our food and wine in the restaurants in France, when eating out, then it's back home and 'job done'!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm john.

Lol... It'll likely be a BMW or Merc estate, dude, with a BIG roof-rack attached!! We like our creature comforts, too!

We buy the wine, as we're touring around the local area, from wherever we see it and it looks good, from some supermarkets, but also direct from vineyards or from small independent wine merchants in French towns, where you can *really* pick up some fab stuff! Fortunately I speak reasonably good French, so can explain what it is I'm looking for.

The wine that's bought is then taken back and stored at the hotel until the day we're leaving, when it's all packed with military precision into the car! Meanwhile, we enjoy our food and wine in the restaurants in France, when eating out, then it's back home and 'job done'!

Marco.

Marco you must look forward to the trip?I know i would mini break and good food and plonkAnd good company

jon

There's nothing better, matey! If you drive, you should try it sometime - mind you, it's a bloody long way from North Yorkshire!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm john.

There's nothing better, matey! If you drive, you should try it sometime - mind you, it's a bloody long way from North Yorkshire!!

Marco.

It would be three hours just to get past birmingham...Like you said a long way best to have a week theremake the most of itAnd a week to recover

jon

Drive down to Wrexham and join the convoy!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nobody.

I bought a stash of 'Merlot' from Aldi, wasnt expensive but tastes great.They offer some ace cheap wines.

They do indeed, dude. I call them 'gluggers'

The other thing is it's piss-easy finding good wine, simply by chucking money at it - far harder to find the good stuff, by not spending much!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm john.

They do indeed, dude. I call them 'gluggers'

The other thing is it's piss-easy finding good wine, simply by chucking money at it - far harder to find the good stuff, by not spending much!

Marco.

True we will just follow master marcofind the best deals Btw bought a couple of bottles today must try the first

jon

Default For those who like quality Belgian Beers...

Lidl are selling the superb La Gauloise Blond (and Ambrée) - a Belgian Ale-style beer by Brasserie Du Bocq, in packs of four, for £4.99...

This a real stonker - think Leffe, but much creamier and smoother! Gorgeous stuff. Thought that some of you might like a 'head's up'. Just pouring myself one now!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread