+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chromecast Audio vs Raspberry Rpi/HifiBerry Digi+

I'm Simon.

Thanks Geoff, think I'll give it a punt. However, does anyone know if it'll be compatible with my DAC (Arcam D33)? I would assume it just replaces the digi+, but as the Digione has a reclocker built in I'm not sure. I can't seem to find whether my DAC is a master or slave (or both?) in regards to clocking. I know it does have it's own clock built in.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_LDT View Post
    Thanks Geoff, think I'll give it a punt. However, does anyone know if it'll be compatible with my DAC (Arcam D33)? I would assume it just replaces the digi+, but as the Digione has a reclocker built in I'm not sure. I can't seem to find whether my DAC is a master or slave (or both?) in regards to clocking. I know it does have it's own clock built in.
    I think it works with any dac with an rca coaxial input. Just feeds it with the cleanest signal.

Geoff

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I think it works with any dac with an rca coaxial input. Just feeds it with the cleanest signal.

Geoff
    That's what I'm thinking, I just remember when the Allo Kali reclocker came out I was interested to try it but then found out it only works with slave DAC's, so I didn't risk it. I would think though that the Kali does something different with the signal, whereas the Digione is still outputting as S/PDIF.

I'm Colin.

Sorry but I thought I would reserve the this thread. I am creating a second system . I have the speakers and power amp. Just collecting the parts for a Preamp but was looking for some inside info on the use of a raspberry pi3 with hifi berry dac. I guess the queries are I intend using this as a server using a hard drive or sd cards. Does the unit take power from a wallwart type plug @nd if I use a package like volumio can I feed directly into the power amp using a tablet for volume control? Sorry I a bit of a Luddite when it comes to tech like this and would appreciate an6 input.
    Colin

I'm Colin.

It isn’t specifically hifi berry would consider others.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin2040 View Post
    Sorry but I thought I would reserve the this thread. I am creating a second system . I have the speakers and power amp. Just collecting the parts for a Preamp but was looking for some inside info on the use of a raspberry pi3 with hifi berry dac. I guess the queries are I intend using this as a server using a hard drive or sd cards. Does the unit take power from a wallwart type plug @nd if I use a package like volumio can I feed directly into the power amp using a tablet for volume control? Sorry I a bit of a Luddite when it comes to tech like this and would appreciate an6 input.
    Colin
    Colin,

yes, Volumio allows you to control volume from the app. In fact, you can set the default power on volume and a maximum volume. I use an Allo Digione spdif board with Rpi3 into a Caiman SEG DAC. Although this can be used as a digital preamp, I use it in DAC mode and feed it directly into a power amp. This is the best mode for SQ in my opinion.

Geoff

I'm Geoff.

Colin
    You can use the Rpi as a digital feed with something like the Hifiberry DIGI+ or Allo Digione. I have both and the latter is much better although 4 times the price. However, you need to use each with a DAC to convert the digital feed to an analogue system. Alternatively, you can get a complete DAC solution for the Rpi.

Geoff

I'm Colin.

Thanks this helps, I will look at others but at a price point the raspberry is pretty good but I looked at a few others. One thing I thought of is that some time ago as a result of gettin* a Sonos I converted all files to apple lossless as the system had issues with the files that were in various formats. It’s worked well but I assume the raspberry will accept most files or will apple lossless be an issue

I'm Tony.

Thanks this helps, I will look at others but at a price point the raspberry is pretty good but I looked at a few others. One thing I thought of is that some time ago as a result of gettin* a Sonos I converted all files to apple lossless as the system had issues with the files that were in various formats. It’s worked well but I assume the raspberry will accept most files or will apple lossless be an issue
    Don't underestimate the quality of the all in one RPi solutions. My jaw hit the floor when I heard the IQaudio RPi/DAC against my Audio Analogue Paganini Mk2. The subsequent move to the Allo BOSS all-in-one (master DAC so no additional re-clocking) was a similar step up. You can choose your own software; I have tried a few but my preference is still Volumio. It's a low cost, low overhead, high quality system that plays everything digital that I need, FLAC, Apple Lossless, MP3, Spotify Streaming, Apple Airplay (any content on iPhone or iPad) from whatever source, wireless, wired, USB and NAS drive. Couldn't be happier with it, only time I use the computer is when I'm ripping new content to store on the NAS drive.
    A mainly digital setup with a musical amplifier and endearing 1970's speakers. A CD player that hardly ever gets used and a turntable that is good enough to remind my how enjoyable my old vinyl is. Some cables and things.

I'm Colin.

This is sounding like my sort of technology. I will do some more research.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12