+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What affects sound more, phono stage or main amp?

I'm Mike.

Default What affects sound more, phono stage or main amp?

If I'm only using main amp for vinyl and streaming playback then how much of the sound of vinyl playback is dictated by the phono stage and how much by the main amp? I ask this as thinking a Naim Unitiqute would be a neat one box solution. I understand the Unitiqute has one RCA input (which I could use for phono stage). Was gonna go the 90s Jap amp route, but thought, I don't need 7 odd inputs, tape outs etc etc. Though I might prefer its sound over something modern like the Unitqute, but then as I have a fine phono stage would this matter?
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Neil.

It depends. If the amp is not capable of properly driving the speakers i.e. they are low impedance / low sensitivity, then the amp side would be more important. If the amp is properly matched, then the phono stage can easily have more of an impact on the sound.
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Mike,

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Though I might prefer its sound over something modern like the Unitqute, but then as I have a fine phono stage would this matter?
    Firstly, what is your phono stage, as I don't see it listed in your signature?

Aside from that, the *only* way that your amp would be more sonically influential than your phono stage, when playing vinyl, is if it was distinctly crap, compared with it! Otherwise, if both items are on a par, quality wise, the phono stage should always exert the greater influence on what you're finally hearing through your speakers.

Ditto (going back further in the chain), your tonearm, cartridge and the turntable itself. In a vinyl-based system, it's strictly a case of 'source first', as no matter how good the next item in the chain is, it cannot alleviate the shortcomings of that which preceded it, both sonically and in terms of lost musical information.

Therefore, in summary, in a vinyl-based set-up, the order of importance (what you should spend most money on first, and what should make the biggest difference) is thus:

Turntable (i.e. the quality of the motor unit itself and influence of the plinth) > *tonearm > cartridge > phono stage > amplifier... Obviously, in the case of an integrated amplifier, the latter two are often one and the same. Hope this helps!

[NB *in certain cases it can be advantageous to prioritise the quality of the cartridge over the tonearm, if the former is exceptionally poor in comparison, but as a general rule, no].

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Any feedback on this, Mike?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Thanks Marco and Yomanze. Just changed signature, phono stage is a Nakamichi CA-5 pre amp used as a stand alone phono stage, into a slightly rough sounding Yamaha ax-396 that I found outside a bin - lol. Recently sold my 'old reliable' Naim shoe boxes as just wanted to get off the Naim treadmill and discover the many many other brands out there! I like the Nak as a phono stage so far, but have yet to hear it with a decent power amp - or integrated amp. Just bought a cheapy - Harmon Kardon HK6500 off the bay, so hoping this will improve things until something nicer comes up, though I've read good things about the HK.
    My TT is a NAS Interspace, this was sent back to NAS last year for them to fit a tonearm board. I'm really glad I sent it back to them as they also noticed the motor was a bit noisy, so gave me a new one - literally free. Plus they cleaned up the TT and put a neat little 'NAS Interspace' label on it! The tonearm is a Jelco 750, with decent cable and cart is Goldring 2200, or Ortofon blue. It sits on a sturdy Ikea shelf (with vinyl in the bottom to weigh it down), I have a TT wall shelf which I should mount soon, but I don't see it will make much difference as the NAS is not a suspended TT. So, to my mind the TT set up is all ok, mind you my cartridge applying skills may not be quite up to scratch.
    So, here's hoping the HK brings an improvement, and down the line like to try a Nak power amp to match it.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Steve.

Hi Mike,

I've always thought that unless the magic is in the very first part of the system's food chain then it won't ever be there in the last.

Or to put it another way, with a set budget I personally would spend a greater percentage of it on cart & phono ahead of power amps, to be sure I was mining the most I could from the grooves in the first instance. No amount of great power amplification will "add back in" anything that the cart & phono stage miss.

I'm not a scientist, your mileage may vary. :-)

Steve

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by steveharman View Post
    Hi Mike,

I've always thought that unless the magic is in the very first part of the system's food chain then it won't ever be there in the last.

Or to put it another way, with a set budget I personally would spend a greater percentage of it on cart & phono ahead of power amps, to be sure I was mining the most I could from the grooves in the first instance. No amount of great power amplification will "add back in" anything that the cart & phono stage miss.

I'm not a scientist, your mileage may vary. :-)

Steve
    Truth is, it all matters. If your front end is lacking, your amps and speakers won't rescue it. If the power section is la king, you won't hear the quality of the front end. I'm afraid there is no way other than to systematically try and go through the chain and add quality where possible. There are amps, carts, speakers and TTs that punch above their weight and coupled together sound very impressive.

Go for second hand bargains and get lots of advice.

+ Reply to Thread