+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First MC cartridge

I'm mike.

Hiya Malcom, it's your origin Live that whatever I get will be fitted to, proved to be an excellent tonearm on my Lenco as well
    Valid point on costs of replacement which is why i would like to keep around the 500 mark, anything else I couldn't really justify. Mind you I'd drop 3-4k on a new bike if I needed one tommorrow.
    The 2M is very very good but I would like to try an MC, anyway my list of contenders is narrowing.
    'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you obviously don't fully understand the situation!'

I'm Kevin.

The important thing is to try and listen to a cartridge before making a purchase. It really is a matter of personal taste and if it gels with your system, so really difficult to recommend one.

More for the list of cartridges to consider:

Hana SL
    DV 20X2L
    Benz Micro Ace L
    AT 33PTG/II
    AT33EV
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm mike.

Yes, the sound is a very subjective thing, you'll get a glowing review of a cart from A and somewhere else 'it's rubbish from' B. There's so much choice it's hard to know where to start so the suggestions have been really useful.
    Next is to find a good local dealer or two near Chorley and hopefully have a listen to some on the shortlist.
    'If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you obviously don't fully understand the situation!'

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty bearing View Post
    Yes, the sound is a very subjective thing, you'll get a glowing review of a cart from A and somewhere else 'it's rubbish from' B. There's so much choice it's hard to know where to start so the suggestions have been really useful.
    Next is to find a good local dealer or two near Chorley and hopefully have a listen to some on the shortlist.
    I don't know what dealers we have near Chorley any more (I live in Chorley). Audio T in Preston has gone apparently. You could come over and listen to my cartridge, but it too is a 2M Black
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    I don't know what dealers we have near Chorley any more (I live in Chorley). Audio T in Preston has gone apparently. You could come over and listen to my cartridge, but it too is a 2M Black
    Ahh if only you had an MC to compare, I would have brought biscuits!
    So far Wilkinsons in Nelson and Doug Brady in Wigan.....not going anywhere near Manchester

I'm Shaun.

Id love to know just what it is that gives moving coils such a beautiful, lush midrange. I've had experience of a few during my time with hi-fi and their sound is generally stunning.

I'm Adrian.

Have a word with Ammonite Audio, they are very helpful and used to have several loan cartridges, they sell Hana and used to offer discount to AoS members.

Personally I would try the Phasemation PP-300, maybe a but more cost but really is VGFM.

I also tried the Hana ML and it was good but th PP-300 was better IMO.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Have a word with Ammonite Audio, they are very helpful and used to have several loan cartridges, they sell Hana and used to offer discount to AoS members.

Personally I would try the Phasemation PP-300, maybe a but more cost but really is VGFM.

I also tried the Hana ML and it was good but th PP-300 was better IMO.
    Ta that's usefu to know, I'll look them up.

I'm Peter.

Doug Brady in Warrington are very good they allowed me to audition 3 cartridges on my own turntable and phono stage

I'm mike.

Quote Originally Posted by supapeet View Post
    Doug Brady in Warrington are very good they allowed me to audition 3 cartridges on my own turntable and phono stage
    Ta muchly, I'll probably been giving them a call in the new year. I've decided to take my time auditioning and if I can do it at home on my own kit, so much the better. Just cleaned and playing Dire Straits 'Communique' excellent album to listen to and probably as a test record

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast