+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend a CD transport with excellent SQ

I'm Chris.

Default Recommend a CD transport with excellent SQ

My best experience has been with the transport of early Marantz/Philips CD1 players, but these are old and getting tired now and I could be buying trouble.

So in terms of modern dedicated transports what would you recommend - lets give a target cost of very approximately £1000

Thanks
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Audiolab 6000 CDT transport
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    BK Electronics XLS400FF Sub.
    Cabling
    Silver mains cables, interconnects and speaker cables by SW1X
    Headphones
    HRT HeadStreamer and SennHeiser HD650 headphones

I'm Phil.

Slot loader or tray?

I'm sorted.

Got one of these I've been very happy with (not that it gets used much since I got a streamer).

https://www.whathifi.com/cyrus/cd-t/review

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    My best experience has been with the transport of early Marantz/Philips CD1 players, but these are old and getting tired now and I could be buying trouble.

So in terms of modern dedicated transports what would you recommend - lets give a target cost of very approximately £1000

Thanks
    I think you could be hard pushed to beat an Audiolab 6000CDT several on here have recommended it to me and only about £400.

I went a step further and purchased the Audiolab 8300CDQ which uses the same as the 6000CDT but has a very good DAC and can be used as pre-amp as well, its a bit of a hidden gem IMHO. see https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...hlight=8300cdq
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    Slot loader or tray?
    Not fussed.
    Source
    SW1X Universal Music Server UMS I Signature with Power Supply Unit PSU I Signature
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Pre amps -- Hi fi Collective twin mono ladder stepped attenuator, with Charcroft Z-foil and silver wired. And First Watt B1 active no gain buffer.
    Power amps -- Welborne 45 SET monoblocks 1.8W / Decware Taboo 6W / Elekit 300B TU-8600SVK plus further improved components 9W / ICE Power 1000W
    Speakers
    Highly modified Endorphin P17 open baffle speakers containing both vintage and modern alnico drivers and paper cones. All silver wired - 8" Cube Audio FC8 full range drivers and vintage 15" Altec VOTT 416 bass drivers. All sat on Townsend Audio Podium seismic isolation platforms.
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Got one of these I've been very happy with (not that it gets used much since I got a streamer).

https://www.whathifi.com/cyrus/cd-t/review
    Yes the Cyrus players sneak into most overviews of good products.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    I think you could be hard pushed to beat an Audiolab 6000CDT several on here have recommended it to me and only about £400.

I went a step further and purchased the Audiolab 8300CDQ which uses the same as the 6000CDT but has a very good DAC and can be used as pre-amp as well, its a bit of a hidden gem IMHO. see https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...hlight=8300cdq
    Yes I looked at this some time ago against the Cambridge CXC at a similar price. Finally I bought the CXC new and was untimately disappointed. Great player at the price point, but I would like a bit more.

Now that sets the bar high
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

I'm sorted.

Had a CXC and the Cyrus definitely outperforms that by some margin. Got mine for around £500 on ebay, used through a Chord Hugo TT.

I'm Adrian.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpy View Post
    Yes I looked at this some time ago against the Cambridge CXC at a similar price. Finally I bought the CXC new and was untimately disappointed. Great player at the price point, but I would like a bit more.

Now that sets the bar high
    Just noticed your set up Chris, you do have quite a high end system and it probably depends upon what you are looking for in CD playback. By that I mean if you have a lreasonable CD collection and want to play them a lot and want the best sound you can get then you may want to think about spending a bit more than the £1K. But if you're going to be an occasional CD listener and primarily listen to streamed Hi-res music then IMO I would try and get a home trial of the Audiolab 6000T at home along side the Cyrus Cdi and see which one does it for you, if neither time to think again.

Cheers

Adrian
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Just noticed your set up Chris, you do have quite a high end system and it probably depends upon what you are looking for in CD playback. By that I mean if you have a lreasonable CD collection and want to play them a lot and want the best sound you can get then you may want to think about spending a bit more than the £1K. But if you're going to be an occasional CD listener and primarily listen to streamed Hi-res music then IMO I would try and get a home trial of the Audiolab 6000T at home along side the Cyrus Cdi and see which one does it for you, if neither time to think again.

Cheers

Adrian
    Thanks Adrian. Yep the system can be quite revealing
    I've got about 5000 CDs of which over a 1000 so far have been copied down to my main music server and these form the core of what I listen to.

Many of the CDs have been acquired over the years and have not even been listened to properly. Equally many more in the future will be speculative buys from charity shops as many people discard the medium. I think it would be nice to just pop them in a CD transport for a listen rather than having to burn every one to a hard drive to see if its a keeper.
    Source
    SW1X USB II
    SW1X DAC III Special
    Amps
    Speakers
    Cabling
    Headphones

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast