+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 200 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Computer Disaster Corner

I'm Grant.

I switch Avast off b4 switch off. MWB premium is an active service as it win patrol plus, and they dont let anything happen without I authorise it. Once its all up and running(about 2 mins these days) then avast goes on. later I have timed programs to start like google drive, dropbox etc that can really slow things down.Ive not had a virus or malware get through for 2 years or so.very occasionally I get a notice from one of them; usually MWB that it has stopped something, but its rare . runs fast enough for me, and the only things that seem to bother it are windows updates, which I may well switch off again, if I get any more crap ones on first issue.

bought a mac mini once and had no idea what to do and eventually gave it to Gazjam for his boy
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Geoff if you went to an Apple OSX device, however cheap, you won't ever need to 'bugger' about with it.
    But I like buggering about with it! That's why I do it.

Nobody's ever shown me how to use a PC, so I learn as I go along. If I didn't tinker, I wouldn't make the mistakes that teach me what not to do.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

I've got half a dozen different Linux distros on CD and use those sometimes. One or two are a bit iffy, but generally they do the job, offering all the basic functions available from Windows. The OS is free, you just pay for the making of the CD (or download it free, but having the disc is handy). If it plays up or you make a mess of things, you just reinstall, which does not take long.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Chris.

It's quite easy really: Go to http://distrowatch.com and choose from over 300 operating systems
    or choose the one that is at the top of the list as it has been for over a year or two which is
    linux mint http://www.linuxmint.com

From there download the .iso image file burn that as a DVD , or you can install via USB
    making the USB blank first and 2gb in size. Installation takes about 10- 15 minutes
    for documents it provides Libre Office, internet Mozilla, and presently 73038 packages
    which are downloadable software- all for free.

With no virus problems of any extent, I cannot recall one in over 7 years of use
    you will have more time in your life for music and hifi

To learn about free software and Linux empowers you as an individual
    to use this software where ever you see fit. The horribleness of proprietary
    software and all of the problems all but vanishes. Up to you now...

Cheers

I'm Geoff.

Mint 17 and Lubuntu are installed and working well on a couple of my old PCs which had Windows XP on. They've been sold to a mate but he seems happy.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Mint 17 and Lubuntu are installed and working well on a couple of my old PCs which had Windows XP on. They've been sold to a mate but he seems happy.
    Mint 17.2 seems an improvement over 17 and 17.1, seems to run faster. 17.1 can be updated easily to 17.2 through Update Manager. It may be possible to do the same with 17.
    Spendorman

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    I am not here to convert anyone but I am absolutely totally sure that if anyone tried Apple/OSX they won't EVER go back to a Windows based machine again, it really is that good...
    Totally agree with you with one big BUT...
    I've been a Mac owner and user since the early 90s and stayed with them through the (very) dark days before Jobs came back. The OS has always been infinitely better, more stable, safer and more user friendly than Windoze in every conceivable way. Another big plus was the suite of media software that came with the machine as part of the package that I used on a daily basis for many years .... now here comes the BUT

Since Apple's resurrection in the new millennium I have seen a gradual slide into mediocre and counter intuitive peripheral software and a very unpleasant 'lockdown' in their system that renders you more and more completely dependent on their whim of where they will take you next. I have junked most of the software I used to use (iMovie, iDVD and iPhoto) and only keep iTunes because I am pretty much stuck with an iPhone and it's absolute interdependency with my desktop. I have tried both Windows and Android phones/tablets and both were non-starters when it came to integration. Would I migrate to Windows? - definitely not, but If I wasn't getting a bit long in the tooth and could be arsed I would definitely try a Linux or Android based solution. As it is, pure laziness keeps me with Mac - not misguided brand loyalty or some notion that it's the best out there ... or will stay that way even if it was at one time.

I'm Grant.

Windows still has about 90% of the users and thus cannot be that bad. I agree it could be improved, especially re security but it is very usable. I think mac only has 5% of the market, and a lot of their problem is cost. put that against the mobile market where apple has over 40% of the market, much to do with costs being similar
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Windows still has about 90% of the users and thus cannot be that bad. I agree it could be improved, especially re security but it is very usable. I think mac only has 5% of the market, and a lot of their problem is cost. put that against the mobile market where apple has over 40% of the market, much to do with costs being similar
    Would agree mostly with the desktop stats but for mobile OS Mac has well over 50% of the market (Windows is really a non-player) and that is pretty much the deciding factor going forward as desktops become increasingly redundant... smart TVs and tablets are much more important and Google hasn't finished yet.....or Amazon.

I'm Sam.

I own macs (old models - would never buy a recent one as have poor value for money) but don't find anything particularly special about them personally. In fact I've found them to be annoying in the way that they are user friendly for non-computer types and accessing the technical side of a computer is obscured. Sadly Win 8 has done that too...

I leave my PCs in hibernation when I go out (so effectively never shut them down) and have never had any problems with them slowing down over time. I don't run any background anti-virus or anti-malware either. All I do is run a scan every now and again on the slightest suspicion. Only thing I run is a free firewall.

Only causes of slow-downs I've had in the last five or more years is low memory on older machines (not coping with modern internet etc) or laptop batteries failing and this causing deliberate processor slowing.

Meanwhile a friend's iMac is just too painfully slow to bother starting up - god knows what's wrong with it as there isn't the plethora of free software to scan the system for problems (that I know of).

So.... I don't think there is much difference at all between macs and non-mac PCs other than what people do with them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 200 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast