+ Reply to Thread
Page 237 of 483 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247287337 ... LastLast
Results 2,361 to 2,370 of 4823

Thread: The Coffeehouse.... Baristi, Barista, Bariste

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Looks very nice, ya Waitrose fanboy!

Marco.

I'm Justin.

Just next to Waitrose in Portishead is LIDL.

When LIDL opened I tried to find wine, beer, meat, veg etc etc for quite a while I could live with.

Now I never go. Waitrose is better. Simples.

Don't get upset bro I know you like yer LIDLs. Each to their own.

Lol - not upset in the slightest dudekins, but if/when I visit, we'll go shopping to Lidl, and I *guarantee* I could find you stuff you could 'live with', with ALL the things you've listed. In fact, I'm so confident, I'll bet you a £100, with the winner giving the cash to their charity of choice

Marco.

Hibster_2000 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Just next to Waitrose in Portishead is LIDL.

When LIDL opened I tried to find wine, beer, meat, veg etc etc for quite a while I could live with.

Now I never go. Waitrose is better. Simples.

Don't get upset bro I know you like yer LIDLs. Each to their own.
    I was gutted when the coop changed to Aldi. Waitrose is a bit of a walk.

I'm Justin.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol - not upset in the slightest dudekins, but if/when I visit, we'll go shopping to Lidl, and I *guarantee* I could find you stuff you could 'live with', with ALL the things you've listed. In fact, I'm so confident, I'll bet you a £100, with the winner giving the cash to their charity of choice

Marco.
    Trouble with Waitrose is the botty shafting for cash. Fortunately, next to LIDL is Home Bargains. Now that really is good for essentials like household cleaning products, human cleaning products, sweets, crisps,.medicines etc etc.

HB makes you realise just how hard the Waitrose shaft is.

Dude I really have done LIDL. You can't win!!! Save your money

Quote Originally Posted by Hibster_2000 View Post
    I was gutted when the coop changed to Aldi. Waitrose is a bit of a walk.
    Now Co-ops I like, especially the larger ones, as IME the quality of produce is excellent, and would rate it higher than that generally found in the likes of Asda, Tesco or Sainsbury's. However, with Aldi and Lidl, it often comes down to the type of things you buy.

If you're a brand-name freak, then forget it, but if you like continental foods, especially anything authentically German (e.g bratwurst, various types of cold meats and pickles, mustard (senf), Pils lager, chocolate. Ritter Sport knocks any British chocolate into a cocked hat, cheeses, etc), including a superb selection of 'speciality' wines, contained inside the wooden crates nearest the checkouts (especially German white and dessert wines, such as Spatlese, Riesling, and also superb Prosecco), count me in!

Quite simply, you *cannot* get stuff like that in Waitrose - or if you can (or similar), it's simply more expensive, not better.

Marco.

Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Trouble with Waitrose is the botty shafting for cash. Fortunately, next to LIDL is Home Bargains. Now that really is good for essentials like household cleaning products, human cleaning products, sweets, crisps,.medicines etc etc.

HB makes you realise just how hard the Waitrose shaft is.

Dude I really have done LIDL. You can't win!!! Save your money
    Soz, I don't buy that. I'd challenge you not to like the meat, wine or anything else you care to mention, I would select on your behalf from Lidl, simply because I don't believe you're as familiar with the product range as I am. I know it inside out, so know exactly what to pick.

Often the best time to shop in Lidl is during their 'special promotion' weeks, such as Alpenfest or Italian week, where much of the produce is just silly-good, at equally silly prices!

70% of what Waitrose sell is grossly overpriced to appeal to 'badge snobs' and/or people who like to 'feel special' because what they're eating has been 'approved' by Waitrose. M&S comes into the same category, but is worse.

Marco.

I'm Justin.

Interesting viewpoint dude.

The horse meat mince put me off LIDL. And their German white sausage was inedible. I also had red peppers that were rotten inside but otherwise looked OK. More than once.

Some of their red wines quite frankly tasted odd. Even what is for them their expensive ones. Not unpleasant odd, quite nice but not what I would call red wine. I suspected adulterants of some kind i.e. not all grape.

Best thing in there was their salted peanuts. Can't remember the brand but they were to die for. Really cheap, too. Then they stopped selling them. Nail in the coffin for me.

Maybe you're LIDL stocks better stuff. Very possible. The one we have is naff.

I'm Justin.

Those peanuts were Alesto Salted. Not dry roasted. Amazing. I'd post a link but I could only find dry roasted.

There are other things in there that are good value I don't deny it.

Lol - they still sell them in our branch, and I agree, they're excellent!

Marco.

+ Reply to Thread