+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 512 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

I'm ChrisB.

Decadent? Don't care - I'm in celebratory mood.
    What's the occasion Barry?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    What's the occasion Barry?
    Hi Chris

It would be unseemly for me to go into details, suffice it to say that I was more than pleased with the meeting I had today with my financial advisor.

The choice for the evening meal had however already been decided.

Regards
    Barry

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Hi Chris

................. I was more than pleased with the meeting I had today with my financial advisor.
    Aha! The one thing that's always worth celebrating!
    Good for you.............so the milky bars are on you then?

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Barry,

PS Marco, when are we going to hear of your views of the 2005 Château Castelbruck Margeaux, or the 2007 Cuvée du Vatican Châteauneuf-du-Pape? You must have sampled one or both by now.
    Indeed I have, and both were excellent!

The reason for the delay is that I've had a lot on my plate recently with one thing and another (give me a ring tonight and I'll fill you in) and so I've not had much time to post.

Rest assured though that when I get a minute, I'll do a write-up. Good news on the financial advisor front, the reason for which I believe we discussed when you visited, so well done old chap!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Me again! .

This time to let you know that Tesco now have a white vin de table to accompany their red in the 'Maison de ...' range. The white is called 'Maison de Charlotte', and very acceptable it is. Oh, and yes Andre (if you're still watching), you can buy any combination of three bottles for £10.

Have just enjoyed a couple of glasses with baked tuna steak, braised celery and red pepper, boiled new potatoes, asparagus, brocolli, and petits pois.

A votre santé
    Last edited by Barry; 15-04-2010 at 22:16. Reason: spelling! Thanks Marco...walks away even more embarrassed!
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

van de table
    That's a new one on me, Barry! I suspect it may have a rather metallic edge

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's a new one on me, Barry! I suspect it may have a rather metallic edge

Marco.
    Heck - you and your red pencil! Vin de table of course! Still a good mid-week slurp.

Corrigendium applied.

Regards
    Barry

Good News!

Tesco have reintroduced their offer on:

Berberana, Etiqueta Negra Rioja Reserva, 2005.

This time the offer is even better - half price, so now only £4.99 a bottle. Before it was a 'three for two' offer.

You will easily find it, just walk into your local Tesco and you will be confronted by a wall of wine cases (stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap?).

Buy some now - I don't know long the offer will last. Mind you, if the forum is as slow as it has been of late, the offer might have passed by the time you read this!

Barry

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

I meant to post on this too, Barry - I bought a dozen last week... (not many left!) This really is a bargain Rioja, especially if you are a fan of the oakiness - (I know that's not a real word, but it should be!) - you'd have to spend a lot more to better this by much of a margin - enjoy!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    I meant to post on this too, Barry - I bought a dozen last week... (not many left!) This really is a bargain Rioja, especially if you are a fan of the oakiness - (I know that's not a real word, but it should be!) - you'd have to spend a lot more to better this by much of a margin - enjoy!
    Snap! I might buy some more; there seemed to be plenty at my Tesco's. It really is a very acceptable rioja. Not quite as good as the Rioja Torre Aldea, Reserva 2005 but unfortunately the superb offer at ~£5 a bottle didn't last long.

It sort of makes up for the withdrawal of the 'Any 3 for £10' offer on the 'Maison de ...' vin de table wines; just as I was starting to really enjoy the 'Maison de Charlotte' vin blanc. And now that summer is a comin' ...!

A votre santé
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread