+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you getting out of AOS forum?

I'm Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamish View Post
    It smells a bit like old people
    Aah the frgrant scent of Methyl Mercaptan :-

True halitosis is not simply a case of garlic breath or early morning dry-mouth. Methyl mercaptan is produced by bacteria, explains Jeffrey Coil, a halitosis expert from the University of British Columbia in Vancouver, Canada. The nasty niff is released as the microbes in your mouth munch proteins from food and your own dead cells

So distinctive, once experienced - never forgotten.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by WOStantonCS100 View Post
    Wallet-thinning.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I just feel I belong here......but then I might feel the same in a secure unit if I had been sectioned
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Confused.

What do I get from AoS? Mmmm ...
    I enjoy the banter of the majority of the members but some members have a sense of humour (?) that leaves me cold.
    I enjoy the free willing and open way that members are willing to offer their help, knowledge, experience and skills to those in need of it but not the way some members pontificate on anything and everything, irrespective of whether they were asked or indeed, whether they know anything about it.
    I enjoy the way members offer to loan kit to other members to audition or on semi permanent loan, even though they ony know them as a name on a screen.
    I like the fact that it has regular members from around the world that share the same interests and not just in music, just demonstrating that basically we are really all the same.
    In short we are a world wide neighbourhood or 'local' community that coheres because of what we have in common and accepts our differences because they are so unimportant. In general a nice place to be .
    Here endeth today's epistle .
    And I might be just as happy in a secure unit too .
    Dave.
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm John.

For myself the Art of Sound Forum hasn't specifically given any one thing. But what it has done, and in spades, is many things. A feeling that there are people who understand the love of music (not any one genre, but all types of music) as I do.

The understanding why we like music replayed with good fidelity on equipment old and new. I still use a Quad FM3 for instance and would not, for one moment, criticise anyone for their choice of equipment and/or music tastes.

Also the good manners displayed (most of the time) on the Art of Sound Forum, with the emphasis of good humour.

In the time as a member of this forum, I have learned a lot of useful information regarding my hobby (for that is how I see it) and feeling welcome.

Now as I'm typing this (garbage ) I can say that I thoroughly enjoy the AoS.

That's what I feel.

Thank you all.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Andre,

Basically i totally do not fit in AOS community, just tolorate it
    That's cool, but it's about the only one that you choose to tolerate (and keep coming back to)

Also, think about all the genuine sympathy and support you've had from people here in times of strife...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Dave,

I enjoy the free willing and open way that members are willing to offer their help, knowledge, experience and skills to those in need of it but not the way some members pontificate on anything and everything, irrespective of whether they were asked or indeed, whether they know anything about it.
    Examples of the above (in bold) please? Also, what do you think should happen instead, in your ideal world?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Bob.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    What do I get from AoS? Mmmm ...
    I enjoy the banter of the majority of the members but some members have a sense of humour (?) that leaves me cold.
    I enjoy the way members offer to loan kit to other members to audition or on semi permanent loan, even though they ony know them as a name on a screen.
    I like the fact that it has regular members from around the world that share the same interests and not just in music, just demonstrating that basically we are really all the same.
    In short we are a world wide neighbourhood or 'local' community that coheres because of what we have in common and accepts our differences because they are so unimportant. In general a nice place to be .
    Here endeth today's epistle .
    And I might be just as happy in a secure unit too .
    Dave.

I'm Confused.

Hi Marco,
    With respect I do not think it would be helpful to start naming names. In any community you will find persons and opinions that you would rather not interact with and I find the same thing in AoS. Basically if anyone thinks the cap might fit they should perhpas think about it and act accordingly. No point IMO to introduce any unecessary friction - if the cap don't fit they should ignore me - not really difficult is it?
    There are people on here, I find, that have excellent, even unrivalled, knowledge of certain subjects that they offer freely to anyone that asks - IMO that does not mean that their opinion on anything and everything is equally expert.
    All just my opinion
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

Hi Dave,

In any community you will find persons and opinions that you would rather not interact with and I find the same thing in AoS. Basically if anyone thinks the cap might fit they should perhpas think about it and act accordingly.
    Sure, but how can they do that if they don't realise what it is that you think they're doing 'wrong'? They may think that they're behaving perfectly normally and acceptably, based on what they're used to experiencing in their own world... In that respect, who is qualified to judge?

At the end of the day, it's all about personalities: some you'll get on with better than others. That's life.

No point IMO to introduce any unecessary friction - if the cap don't fit they should ignore me - not really difficult is it?
    Yup, and the same could also be said regarding the persons and opinions that you would rather not interact with. Just ignore them and refrain from referring to their behaviour - not really difficult is it?

Incidentally, you'll never get any "friction" here from simply being frank and honest. I hate stuff bubbling away under the surface. So if you have a problem, I'd rather you spat it out.

I'm the type of person who respects honesty and likes to get any, shall we say, 'disgruntlement' out into the open and tackled head-on, rather than sly little digs being made, in the hope that those whom the comments were aimed at will take notice, and then those making the digs conveniently going 'all shy' when challenged to explain themselves...

No offence, Dave, (so please don't take it that way) but there's a saying, which is rather apt in these circumstances: 'either put up or shut up'. It's one or the other here

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Oh dear, because I'd been enjoying myself here, I started the tread in the (misguided?) hope everybody would have an entirely positive standpoint. Never mind, its a bit like being at work (depending on your job of course) you mix with people who won't necessarily see things the way you do, but we all have to rub along. Mind you here its voluntary and the pay is terrible!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast