+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sugden IA-4 vs Accuphase E-350 integrated

I'm Ales.

Default Sugden IA-4 vs Accuphase E-350 integrated

Hello and happy Easter Holidays.

My question is about integrated amplifier Accuphase E-350 which can I buy as a replacement for Sugden IA-4 integrated. Loudspeakers are Tannoy Turnberry se with sensitivity 93db in medium sized room 220 sqf, listenining jazz and blues at moderate levels.
    Sugden IA-4 is A class and Accuphase is AB class, first with 2x33W and second with 2x100W at 8 Ohms.

Has anybody heard both amplifers in similar audio systems and give me recommendation or audio impressions? Thanks.
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Phil.

I believe the Ia4 is very similar to the a21se . i have used the sugden a21se with tannoy eaton legacy and it was just superb . the Ia4 is even better than the a21se so that accuphase would have to be VERY VERY goood to beat it .
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Steve.

Hi Ales,

Sensitive speakers + medium sized room + played at moderate levels = not a lot of power needed. I'm betting the Sugden sounds great, and more than up to the job. But it sounds like you have an itch that wants scratching. Great though Accuphase kit is reputed to be, I wouldn't necessarily expect better, just different

Let us know how you get on, and good luck.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Accuphase make some awesome equipment, albeit very Japanese in style and sound. Still good though and very highly regarded. I've never heard any Accuphase stuff though as they're relatively rare on these shores.

However, Sugden amplifiers are unbelievably good. The A21 is my favourite, it's just sublime, in either Integrated or Power amp form.

I'm Ales.

Yes, Sugden IA4 class A amplifier is too good and I will keep it.
    Accuphase is simply to expensive adventure to try it without listening first.

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    Accuphase make some awesome equipment, albeit very Japanese in style and sound. Still good though and very highly regarded. I've never heard any Accuphase stuff though as they're relatively rare on these shores.

However, Sugden amplifiers are unbelievably good. The A21 is my favourite, it's just sublime, in either Integrated or Power amp form.
    A lot of good music through Tannoy Kensington GR speakers, Accuphase E-650 amp, Accuphase DP-400 CD player, turntable Technics SL 1200G with Grado Reference 2

I'm Dave.

If you are considering Accuphase, you might like to take a look at Luxman.

I'm Graham.

Yes, sugden IA4 is a good match with DC Tannoy. Have heard older HPDs with Accuphase and it sounded a bit over damped (ie lots of control at the expense of a bit of verve) .
    I would be tempted to look at a really good PP valve amp as an expensive upgrade to the IA4. Something using KT120s maybe?

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    If you are considering Accuphase, you might like to take a look at Luxman.
    Love the Luxmans. So handsome. Maybe one day...
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Barry.

Curious about Accuphase too. And Luxman - the lure of meters! By chance, has anybody ever listened to the 550 (Class A) vs 507 model (A/B)? It seems that the 550 is just biased higher in class A and actually outputs close to 70 watts, which would be more than plenty for me (I listen low-level with Harbeths).

Truth be told, I prefer the orange meters , and vs the Accuphase I like that Luxman have the inbuilt phono instead of card system of Accuphase. Seems you can do no wrong with either brand. Certainly the resale holds up so a punt doesn't seem a bad idea.

I'm Kostas.

Over the years I have heard several Accuphase amps (class A and AB) with all the speakers of the Klipsch Heritage line which are equally sensitve with the Tannoys and I like the combination. These brands share the same distributor here, at first I found it weird since most people use valve amps with Klipsch but it works. I bet Tannoys will be an even better combination, I prefer them over Klipsch.

One of my favorite sounds I have ever heard and will never forget were the Tannoy TD12 with Accustic Arts CDP/Pre/Power. I don't remember how many watts but the power amp was HUGE. The sound was crystal clear without being harsh with lots of dynamics. I would have bought that system to the last cable if I could afford it...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast