+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: New to streaming, please help.

I'm Geoff.

I will agree that Raspberry Pi based streamers can be a pain to set up. However, I have found the latest version of Volumio to be easy to install. Just follow the step by step instructions or watch the video and you are sorted. I am using an RPi3 with the latest Allo Digione board and the sound quality is exceptional. For around 150 quid all in, it is hard to beat.

In my experience, computer/laptop based solutions are pretty poor. It may be down to the quality of the soundcard, or the "noise" generated by the computer, but they have always sounded harsh and "fuzzy".

Some of the purpose built streamers are good. I have a Cambridge CXN. It is very easy to use and has Spotify built in (for Premium users). The bass and midrange performance is very good, but my Pi based system is much better.

Geoff

I'm Edward.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    Currently play just vinyl and CD. Want to try streaming, that is downloading music from the internet! I have a laptop, but no idea how to go about all this. Do I need a streamer? My amp is naim 72, so pre digital, so guess I'll need a dac?! Was thinking about getting a Sony 700 or similar, do these have dacs? So with these 2 amps in mind, how do I go about this? Sorry for my complete ignorance........... Budget? Well, normally buy second hand, so I guess £100 - £300. Ta.
    Mike, did you try any streaming ideas given in this thread since you posted in October?

Just so you can get a flavour of things I'm willing to help. I can, if you wish, send to you from Amazon a 3.5mm jack/rca cable. This will allow you to connect your laptop to a spare input of your amp. Then it will simply be a matter of booting up your laptop and playing sounds. Willing to chat on the 'phone (or I can remotely login to your laptop) to walk you through things.

Let me know if you are interested and if so send me your contact details via PM.

(small question: is the RCA input on your Naim 72 still free? If not and you still have a din input free I'll order a 3.5mm jack/din cable.)
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    I'd rather use the best individual components to do this - a Mac with remote ipad control for user interface, the best USB to SPDIF converstion possible, a good tube DAC - than rely on someone's choices of a one-box solution, fixed in metal until its inevitable obscolesce
    Choosing individual components will give you the flexibility to avoid all the, IMHO, unnecessary filtering and a host of unnecessary inputs. One box, badged solutions do their best to cover as many connectivity scenarios and file formats as possible. Obviously that approach is to maximise companies potential sales. Not everyone needs a swiss army knife.
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwardlon View Post
    Mike, did you try any streaming ideas given in this thread since you posted in October?

Just so you can get a flavour of things I'm willing to help. I can, if you wish, send to you from Amazon a 3.5mm jack/rca cable. This will allow you to connect your laptop to a spare input of your amp. Then it will simply be a matter of booting up your laptop and playing sounds. Willing to chat on the 'phone (or I can remotely login to your laptop) to walk you through things.

Let me know if you are interested and if so send me your contact details via PM.

(small question: is the RCA input on your Naim 72 still free? If not and you still have a din input free I'll order a 3.5mm jack/din cable.)
    No I didn't! I was gonna buy a Naim unitiqute, but then thought twice as it has low power output, and I might want to try monitor type speakers in the future, and they need at least 70w. Thanks for your help, think I'll try something like Raspberry PI soonish. The Naim is gone, currently a Harmon Kardoin hk6500 is on its way to me. I have a 3.5 jack plug, didn't realise it was that easy.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Edward.

The 3.5mm jack will give a flavour of what is possible. It will be the start of your journey. Once you see the possibilities you can go from there to higher end things.

Let me know if you want 1 on 1 help once you get the new amp.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Edward; 08-02-2018 at 12:11.
    Current: [P20] Roon/Tidal > Custom PC> Chevron Paradox NDF16 > Phast Pre > Neuro. 686 > Tannoy Berkley (RFC tweaks)

I'm Adam.

The 3.5mm jack will give a flavour of what is possible. It will be the start of your journey. Once you see the possibilities you can go from there to higher end things.

Let me know if you want 1 one 1 help once you get the new amp.

Sent via Tapatalk
    you are a bloody good chap Edward! Proper AoS gold badge material! and there are a few on here who really go beyond
    "lack of passion is fatal"

Vinyl: Thorens TD-124mk2 / SME-312 Aluminium 'special' / SME M2-9R / STEREO: Etsuro Urushi Cobalt / Shure M3D / Ortofon SPU A95 / Cartridge Man Music Master / Shure - SC35C (US) / SAEC C3 MC MONO: Miyajima Zero B 0.7mil mono / Miyajima Premium 1.0 / Amps & SUTs: Radford STA25 mk3 / AD Audio 'Satchmo2' pre & LCR phono / Hashimoto HM-7 SUT / ETR-MONO SUT Digital: Audio Note 4.1 (with DAC5 upgrades) DAC / Roon / Tidal Speakers: Tannoy 12" MGs' in RFC custom 'Rutland' Cabinets with RFC crossovers / Tannoy ST-100 Super Tweeters Cables: LFD Grainless phono / RFC Mercury / Duelund DCA16GA tinned copper / Kimber 12TC / SW1X Audio Design USB-SPdif / Duelund DCA20GA interconnects / SW1X Audio SPDIF Aero 6 / Mains Power Conditioner / Box Furniture rack / Audiodesk Systeme Vinyl Cleaner / a very beautiful & understanding Wife!

I'm Mike.

Let me know if you want 1 one 1 help once you get the new amp.

Sent via Tapatalk
    Thanks very much Edward, I'll let you know how I get on.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

One thing that should be pointed out is that not all of the streaming setups are equal, as far as RasPi is concerned.

If you go full hog and rip your CDs to a local (meaning in your home) library (for example, all of my CDs are ripped to FLAC, and stored on a NAS box), you need to be aware that a fair number of RasPi builds require connection to the outside world in order to function at all.
    They connect back to a remote server, and stream information back to your device, which is fine, just so long as your broadband is working fine.

I recently had an issue with my broadband service, and as a result lost connectivity to external services (Spotify/BBC iPlayer).
    I have good neighbours, and one of them gave me access to their WiFi so I could get internet access for general internet use, but I was still screwed for internet access for the streaming services.
    I could still play my local library, because it is managed by my RasPi running piCorePlayer, which in turn runs LMS (everything is managed locally).

piCorePlayer can also run as a self contained player - it is quite happy performing both server and player duties simultaneously.
    The server stuff goes under the title of LMS, and the player side of it goes under the title Squeezelite.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Sherwood View Post
    I will agree that Raspberry Pi based streamers can be a pain to set up. However, I have found the latest version of Volumio to be easy to install. Just follow the step by step instructions or watch the video and you are sorted. I am using an RPi3 with the latest Allo Digione board and the sound quality is exceptional. For around 150 quid all in, it is hard to beat.

In my experience, computer/laptop based solutions are pretty poor. It may be down to the quality of the soundcard, or the "noise" generated by the computer, but they have always sounded harsh and "fuzzy".

Some of the purpose built streamers are good. I have a Cambridge CXN. It is very easy to use and has Spotify built in (for Premium users). The bass and midrange performance is very good, but my Pi based system is much better.

Geoff
    I used a HifiBerry Digi+ board in mine, output to an Audio Note DAC.

The Mac into a proper, self-powered USB interface sounded better.

There are no limitations at all in using a laptop into a streaming device via USB (they run off DC after all) the issue is the quality of the USB interface. (Including the ones in many supposedly 'usb' DACs.)

Using Audio Out via headphone jack is a different matter of course which is where PC laptops in particular acquired their bad reputation - Macs are better of course as their sound capabilities have always been streets ahead, PCs have generally required additional hardware to match what Macs do OOTB.

I'm Grant.

never tried a digi board with my pi. always had i2s dac board on.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast