+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Rogers Hifi Answers Transmission Line speakers

I'm Lawrence.

Default Chris Rogers Hifi Answers Transmission Line speakers

Has anyone tried a pair of these? I might be getting some on Friday. I imagine they will be close to the Bert Webb designed R50s I had a few years ago.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Do they use the same drive units? I have heard the Cambridge R50s (a friend of mine has a pair) and they are very good. My only criticism of the R50s was the grille consisting of vertical slats, which creates 'lobes' in the horizontal polar pattern. The Chris Rogers design shouldn't suffer from this.
    Barry

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Do they use the same drive units? I have heard the Cambridge R50s (a friend of mine has a pair) and they are very good. My only criticism of the R50s was the grille consisting of vertical slats, which creates 'lobes' in the horizontal polar pattern. The Chris Rogers design shouldn't suffer from this.
    Yes I believe it does, although these have the later shape B139; most of the R50s I've seen have the earlier oval version (maybe not the later 50 watts rated version). This also has an enclosed mid range cavity rather than a second line and port.

I'm Geoff.

The later B139 with 'corners' was used on some R50 speakers. I never understood the need for the Coles tweeter, as the T27 has a quoted response up to 30kHz.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    The later B139 with 'corners' was used on some R50 speakers. I never understood the need for the Coles tweeter, as the T27 has a quoted response up to 30kHz.
    I always thought it was due to a slightly ragged response up top with the T27 (that the later ab crossover mod on the Kef 104 sorted for example).

Last edited by Lawrence001; 24-10-2019 at 23:57.

I'm Lawrence.

More info here, maybe more rolled off than ragged.

https://us.kef.com/pub/media/pdf/Mod...mprovement.pdf

I'm Tony.

They look like the bastard love child of an MFI regional rep and a kef driver dumpster drive
    Last edited by Mr. C; 24-10-2019 at 14:15.
    Coherent Systems
    Real high end sound with musicality not hifi

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. C View Post
    They look like the bastard love child of an MFI regional rep and a kef driver dumpster drive
    Yep but if they sound anything like my R50s did they will be great!

I'm Rohan.

Just gotten hold of some R50s that need some love and so haven't been played properly yet...how would you describe the sound Lawrence? You've had massive IMFs at some point, is it in that direction?

I'm Lawrence.

Quote Originally Posted by VanDerGraaf View Post
    Just gotten hold of some R50s that need some love and so haven't been played properly yet...how would you describe the sound Lawrence? You've had massive IMFs at some point, is it in that direction?
    Very clean sounding, they go low but the bass is not overblown in any way. My mate said they sounded like PA speakers. They did remind me of being at a gig at times, but in a good way. The IMFs had more bass. I got the impression that the R50 design was about totally nullifying the back wave of the bass driver whereas the IMFs were more about getting some low frequencies out of the ports and extending the LF range.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast