+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry PI as a CD player

I'm inactive.

... and a piccie of the Sony in place under the RPi :

Happy coincidence that the drive is pretty much the same width as the RPi case

I'm Andy.

Looking good Mike
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Leak Lenco GL75 with Ortofon OM10 cartridge
    Technics RS-BX404 Cassette Deck
    Network Player.
    Raspberry PI plus R2-R DAC (also used as a CD player) plus Pi NAS Server
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    Reiver Jenna floor standers
    HeadPhones.
    Sennheiser HD545 Ref, HD600, HD477

I'm Grant.

Did a few trials of cd v file, albeit files from audirvana to pi and felt the files won.
    Wasn't a lot in it but maybe more relaxed and clear... Less strident.
    Just my take
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

Hooked up a cheap LG DVD spinner VIA IFI IUSB3 Nano (spare) 2Qute DAC, PI3 Allo Digone signature (Longdog clean side PSU)

I used the IUSB3 just to keep the DVD player off of the PI's VBus.

Made a small but nice difference clarity wise.

I Also tried an old freecom DVD unit but it sounded noisy like a jet aircraft taking off during playback. must be a duffer

Sounding Pretty Good for such an inexpensive add on.

Nice work guy's.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stig View Post
    Hooked up a cheap LG DVD spinner VIA IFI IUSB3 Nano (spare) 2Qute DAC, PI3 Allo Digone signature (Longdog clean side PSU)

I used the IUSB3 just to keep the DVD player off of the PI's VBus.

Made a small but nice difference clarity wise.

I Also tried an old freecom DVD unit but it sounded noisy like a jet aircraft taking off during playback. must be a duffer

Sounding Pretty Good for such an inexpensive add on.

Nice work guy's.
    I've got a ifi usb3. I might try it
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    I've got a ifi usb3. I might try it
    Worth a go.

I had my IUSB3 lying around after I switched from USB to SPDIF.

works well to my ears.

Regen should also do pretty much the same thing

I'm Andy.

Bit the bullet and paid for the Nanosound license (£27) to try the ripping feature.
    So - to use is a bit of a faff but nothing too bad!

Go into settings (in Volumio) then choose plugins then the Nanosounds CD plugin.
    From here choose the format you want the files in (FLAC or WAV and also if you want it upsampled - I left it at none)
    Choose the location to store the files (default is the SD card) - I set it to my NAS drive.

With a CD inserted and still in the settings page for Nanosound, click on the extract the whole CD.
    Takes around 40 minutes and it also has a button to show you how it is progressing.

Main bug bare is that the folder it creates to hold the files is not the artist/album name nut the date and time(so just changed it in the NAS drive).

Files played back fine with no issues - not carried out a back-to-back test with the original CD as yet.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Michell Orbe with arm decoupling kit & Pete's Pylons. SME V arm, Denon DL103M (FGS), Firebottle OPT MKII phono amp
    Technic SP-10 in Obsidian plinth, AT1010 PMAC v8b arm, Goldring Elite MC Cart and BB3 Phono Amp
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm David.

That all sounds a bit of a faff. I'm impressed with the playback from a cheap DVD drive, but it's not quite as straightforward as loading a CD player and hitting 'play'. Have you tried the upsampling facility?

I'm Andy.

A faff it is but the whole solution costs peanuts compared to an all in one player, ripper thingy you can buy.
    Not tried the upsampling yet (been busy this evening) but might try over the weekend and report back.
    Main system:
    Analogue.
    Network Player.
    Digital.
    Philips DCC 730 player
    Marantz CD50SE
    Amp.
    Audiolab 8000A
    Speakers.
    HeadPhones.

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Did a few trials of cd v file, albeit files from audirvana to pi and felt the files won.
    Wasn't a lot in it but maybe more relaxed and clear... Less strident.
    Just my take
    I agree Grant - there's very little in it.
    Still find it a very useful, cheap and easy addon even though I usually stick to the stored file versions for ease of use.

However, I have a lot more CDs than I can be bothered to rip and store so for me it saves the hassle for the occasions when I get a yen to listen to something other than my favourite stuff (or pick up a bargain from the charity shop...)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast