+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever tried Greygate Plastic Polish ?

I'm steve.

Default Has anyone ever tried Greygate Plastic Polish ?

One of my pet hates is, no matter how careful I am I always manage to get marks on turntable dust covers with even the gentlest dusting. Been doing some internet searching and came across this stuff, item info on their website says the RAF use the stuff for cleaning aircraft cockpit canopies, I was wondering if anyone can comment on its effectiveness on turntable lids.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Gary.

Brasso’s good for it too.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Julian.

I've tried Greygate for my TT lid - did a pretty good job without being spectacular, just don't set your expectations too high ...

I tried K2 Lamp Doctor more recently, about the same result.
    Sonore Rendu - Cambridge Audio Edge W - Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

I'm Gary.

It’s general use is water displacement, hence on cockpits (no wipers).

Perhaps you need something anti static, I’ve never found anything that works though!

Gary
    It is easier to seek forgiveness than to ask permission

Rules are meant for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men

I'm Andre.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z View Post
    One of my pet hates is, no matter how careful I am I always manage to get marks on turntable dust covers with even the gentlest dusting. Been doing some internet searching and came across this stuff, item info on their website says the RAF use the stuff for cleaning aircraft cockpit canopies, I was wondering if anyone can comment on its effectiveness on turntable lids.

Is that the White stuff with the Red Castle on the label? If so its very thin & needs a lot of elbow grease but its not aggressive

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    Is that the White stuff with the Red Castle on the label? If so its very thin & needs a lot of elbow grease but its not aggressive
    Red label with a castle on it, yes, that’s the one.

I'm Gordon.

Horses for courses, as they say......Greygate Plastic Polish is recognised and patternised for military use other than canopies. It is used for polishing screens and radar tables and does a good job.
    So if you have very light marks, it should do the job, but if your damage is more serious you may wish to start with Brasso as it is courser; bit like T-Cut, you can start with course and work down to fine for a good finish. Something like AutoGlym window polish, or even Duraglit will probably provide you with an acceptable finish.
    (I read somewhere that Delrin cannot be "polished"! However, by working through the different grades of very fine wet & dry and the polishes mentioned above, I managed to get a beautiful black finish on an arm board I made).
    You shouldn't do any damage by using any of the above, but you may be surprised just how much elbow grease is require, as Andre mentioned, to finish with something perfect.
    Good luck.

I'm John.

Sod the elbow grease, dremel and polishing mops.

I'm Adrian.

Buy some car headlamp car polish, that works well, you shouldn't need to use the abrasive pads unless it is badly scratched already. just polish with lint free clothes, one to put on and one to polish off.
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm Neds.

Can't believe that no one has suggested T Cut! There's the standard version and the one for Metallic finishes, which is gentler

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast