+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Obscure albums

I'm Andre.

Default Obscure albums

One of the great things about CD was that all those rare & obscure albums that cost an arm & a leg were readily available on CD.. I fear that we are going around again to this stuff being lost to the next generation. I honestly cant see it being available on download* i dont see any future formats being created to carry & sell the music.

I'm Simon.

define rare and obscure.

I have plenty of superb recordings, especially in mono, that never made it on to CD.

I'm Andre.

Dr Z 'Three Parts to my soul' Raw Material 'Time Is'

I'm Simon.

I'm Andre.

you tube is certainly not my idea of sound qwalty. So its also ok to accept a degrade in sound over the CD cos that is what will happen.

I'm Simon.

depends how well recorded they were in the first place. Just because something is on CD doesn't guarantee high sound quality. I'm guessing from their age both are analogue recordings so it also very much depends how they were also transferred to CD as well.

I chuck the output from my my laptop through a DAC and plenty from youtube sounds pretty decent.

Most things become rare for good reason, imo. The fact someone has decided to save them by putting them freely available on the net is a good thing.

I'm Andre.

CD is the reference to how it sounds. so that is the reference..

This is not an argument about why something is rare, it has absolutely nothing to do with it what so ever. What might have been seen as not very good back then hence low sales is not what people see today. The topic is about rare & unobtainable material was made widely available due to CD, im saying the same thing may happen again being no new format. It is illegal to take music that you aint paid for from tube for one.

Why is it that posters take great poleasure in bending a topic into something different? I notice this alot when some dont seem to be able to decipher between playing lossless files on your pooter & Streaming. off the net

However i better move off this topic before someone sends marco a belly aching message about me again.

I'm Simon.

Quote Originally Posted by Made in 1968 View Post
    CD is the reference to how it sounds. so that is the reference..

This is not an argument about why something is rare, it has absolutely nothing to do with it what so ever. What might have been seen as not very good back then hence low sales is not what people see today. The topic is about rare & unobtainable material was made widely available due to CD, im saying the same thing may happen again being no new format. It is illegal to take music that you aint paid for from tube for one.

Why is it that posters take great poleasure in bending a topic into something different? I notice this alot when some dont seem to be able to decipher between playing lossless files on your pooter & Streaming. off the net

However i better move off this topic before someone sends marco a belly aching message about me again.
    As a classical and jazz lover I am very aware of what and why something is rare and let's not hide the fact that in some cases you are quite correct - Nick Drake being a failed artist who, sadly, never saw his digital revival.

All I was trying to say with the youtube links was that there are people trying to save these recordings and let them be available to others to find, surely this has to be of benefit? What happens in the future? I'm really not sure but, as with books, I would much rather see them saved in some format. As we go past copyright dates then storing things on the tube, or some alternative, should be easier. Look at Project Gutenberg for instance.

I'm Andre.

Its not a benefit when someone had uploaded it on an inferior sound than the actual CD. This happened with unofficial Live recordings. People were converting them from a good lossless transfer from audio cassette to MP3, totally destroying what what an historical artifact. When the inferior copies start circulating the better original transfer from the recording can easily be lost.. No end of them ive been looking for just to find them on the tube ruined.

btw. I noticed Ben was playing Jade Warrior & May Blitz today, Very low sales back in the 70's hence their obscurity, Yet a lot of people these days think they are Excellent. Times chance as do people definition of crap.

+ Reply to Thread