+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for advice on speakers for a vintage amp.

I'm Richard.

Default Looking for advice on speakers for a vintage amp.

Hi everyone

I'm Richard and I've got this Exposure X amp that I need speakers for. Any suggestions would be very welcome. I'm currently playing through Mordaunt Short MS 902 speakers. It sounds ok but not as good as my Bose SoundTouch 20. I Hope Bose isn't a banned word on this site or I'll be heading for an early shower. Joking aside, I'm hoping decent speakers will make it much better sounding not that the MS are rubbish. Also, I was wondering if I could use a graphic equaliser when I want a bit more bass as the amp doesn't have any tone controls. Currently, when I hook up the GE it doesn't make any difference. I listen to a wide variety of music from Psy-Trance to Beethoven and most stuff in between. I use my laptop and a 3.5 jack to connect to the amp. Not sure if that's relevant but I'll chuck it in there anyway.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

What sort of size boxes, and new or used? Some idea on budget too would be a help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Grant.

The pc link up won't be doi g u any favours. Usb to dac then amp will improve things a lot
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Hello Richard. Welcome to AOS.

Some folk make tone controls and graphic equalisers work OK for them, but they are a bit frowned upon by the purists, as they interfere with the signal.

If it's deep, solid bass you're after, you could do worse than look at the TDL transmission line speakers that are for sale in our Private Exhibitions section. I think they may well give you what you seek, if still available.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adrian.

Hi Richard

You might be interested in these that I am thinking of selling, produce lots of low and controlled bass, and easy to drive.

Cheers Adrian

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...L100s-speakers
    Listening is the act of aural discrimination and dissemination of sound, and accepting you get it wrong sometimes.

Analog Inputs: Pro-Ject Signature 10 TT & arm, Benz Micro LP-S, Michel Cusis MC, Goldring 2500 and Ortofon Rondo Blue cartridges, Hitachi FT5500 mk2 Tuner

Digital:- Marantz SA-KI Pearl CD player, RaspberryPi/HifiBerry Digi+ Pro, Buffalo NAS Drive

Amplification:- AudioValve Sunilda phono stage, Krell KSP-7B pre-amp, Krell KSA-80 power amp

Output: Wilson Benesch Vector speakers, KLH Ultimate One Headphones

Cables: Tellurium Q Ultra Black II RCA & Chord Epic 2 RCA, various speaker leads, & links

I think I am nearing audio nirvana, but don’t tell anyone.

I'm brian.

Don't know about an early shower I think you might need a proper bath for that Bose comment . They might be cheaper than what your looking for Ricardo but an old pair of AR 18 s might surprisingly
    float yer boat for very little. Bought these little beauties earlier this year and there a blinding listen in my view. Small speakers maybe but with a very transparent enjoyable sound

I'm Richard.

Thanks for the replies, folk. I'll look into the options you've presented to me in a bit when I've emptied my work in-tray.

I'm Richard.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure about the AR 18's tho. They seem a little cheap as you said. My MS speakers were only £150 new. As I said, not bad but not really good enough to do the amp justice, methinks or are they? The amp would probably be about £1000 in today's money and they still sell for a couple of hundred or more. You're right about Bose. Useful for a casual listening thing but not sitting back and appreciating sound quality.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by AJSki2fly View Post
    Hi Richard

You might be interested in these that I am thinking of selling, produce lots of low and controlled bass, and easy to drive.

Cheers Adrian

https://theartofsound.net/forum/show...L100s-speakers
    This looks like it should be a good match. The exposure is lively, which the JBL will like. These are truly excellent speakers which will bring years of enjoyment and these look a very nice pair.

I'm Graham.

Ps you won't need tone controls as the JBLs produce lots of good quality bass ��

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast