+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Linn Abandon CD"

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

P.S Andre, stockpiling CDs and records is all well and good, but who's got the space to store 1000s of CDs and records somewhere and also the time to transfer all the music onto a computer? Digitising thousands of records alone would take forever

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    ill keep ma books though.. I'm not into those "reader" things or "e-books"
    That's one thing i can't do on a computer is read books, i will opt for buying a real book anyday.

I'm David.

Who wants a book that needs a fucking battery... It's a god damn book for crying out loud!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by hamish View Post
    Who wants a book that needs a fucking battery... It's a god damn book for crying out loud!
    What i've never understood with women

I'm NotTakingLifeTooSeriouslyTheseDays.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiocom View Post
    Thanks Anthony

Have a nice Xmas
    cheers mark,
    and the same to you and yours...
    regards,anthony,TD...

I'm notAlone.

Optical disks are dying. They are not dying because they are not practical or fragile (although they are a bit of the two), but they are dying because :
    - they take more space than magnetic disks, and space in today's houses becomes a luxury.
    - they are not cheaper anymore: magnetic storage costs almost the same price.

So, optical storage is bound to be limited to death : already, as things go, most software are sold online. No optical storage, nothing. Other content types (music, films) will inevitably follow.

Look, I will give you another example : We already have the technology necessary to auto-stereoscopic displays. They are ready waiting for a market.
    But we don't have a single optical media for storing a 2-hour stereoscopic film (about 8 million pixels/image) along with its high-def audio.
    Who can imagine that we will invent a brand new optical media ? BD is probably the last one, imho.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Who can imagine that we will invent a brand new optical media ? BD is probably the last one, imho.
    Hehe, General Electric already invented it: GE unveils holographic disc breakthrough.
    Read about this a while back.
    Personally, I'm waiting for analogue storage to come back…
    Simon.

I'm Nobody.

Dimitri:Going back to Format change
    Remember when CD came out in the early 80's, it was like a revolution, people were more than glad to dump their records due to many factors, the shit 80's issues for one put a damper on things to last a lifetime..People loved this new said perfect format complete with commercial advertising garb.. ok people went with it cos anything was better than the shit they had to put up with...Remember this was a total format change from Analogue to Digital, it was a revolutionary change (Lets not forget to enginerers/record companies cashing in ).When did the 12" long player come out was it late 40's! that's 35 years'ish..CD has been on the go for around 25 years ish now with no actual talk of format change only new fangled technology advances, no difinate domination of a new proposed format change...The thing these days there's no revolutional advancements they are playing on digital advancements, Digital, Digital, it's played out, too many fads, they are killing any chance with short lived ideas to even convince the public of anything worth changing for..Sorry CD is here to stay for a good 10 years easy. Just to add people that did actually change formatt in the end wish they hadnt hence going back to vinyl.

I'm notAlone.

Andre, CD is not a format, it is just part of a storage media type (optical).
    The problem is that optical media types are declining fast.

So, digital is here to stay, but the optical storage will be dead soon.
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Youngsters download most or all of their music too. Only us dinosaurs use *physical* media and we're a tiny, tiny minority I think.

Those young people who wish to return to physical media will return to records I now think. CD won't totally disappear, but they may have to be played on CD ROM drives in computers in a few years time. the onset of quiet power supplies and lower cost massive memory will probably mean that computers may well become the hub of our audio and video entertainment in future. We may just buy the license and just download when we want from a remote server...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    We may just buy the license and just download when we want from a remote server...
    Hi Dave

I think Ivor T predected this back in 1983 , did he not or words to that effect.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast