+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quad 306 Refresh and Upgrade.

I'm Mark.

Default Quad 306 Refresh and Upgrade.

Having found the fault causing a 20V DC Offset on one channel of the 306 I bought broken, I've started to tweak and refresh/upgrade some components.
    I've started by changing the main reservoir capacitors from 4,700uF to 6,800uF Nichicon Gold Tune, and the other 2 electrolytics to Nichicon too. Replaced the four marginal rated 560 ohm 4 Watt resistors to 5 Watt ultra low inductance wire wound, and the two 10 ohm 1 Watt resistors in the Zobel Network to 2 Watt 1% precision metal film (both tips very gratefully received from Light Dependent Resistor!).
    More to follow!!!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Interesting. Keep us posted.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Paul.

Ive got an upgraded 306 but have never opened it up to see whats been done. I might have a look tonight if i get the chance

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Current system:
    RPi + Allo Digione
    Beresford Caiman Seg & Dorado powered by 15v Linear PSU
    Transcendent Sound Mini Beast OTL
    Amptastic Mini-1
    Klipsch KG4.5 Speakers with Titanium Diagphrams and Sonicap Cap upgrade
    110aH Leisure Battery powers the Mini-1 & Digione

I'm Clive.

Keep the updates coming please! I've done the Dada updates to my 306. The resistor updates you've made look very sensible. I'll be interested in more inspiration for what to improve.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Keep the updates coming please! I've done the Dada updates to my 306. The resistor updates you've made look very sensible. I'll be interested in more inspiration for what to improve.
    Have you fitted the capacitors across the zener diodes? If so, do you think that improved the sound?
    I'm replacing every other resistor in the amp, with 1% metal film, and as I took out the power transistors to test them out of circuit, I will replace the thermal insulators with higher efficiency items...

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by M6NTL View Post
    Have you fitted the capacitors across the zener diodes? If so, do you think that improved the sound?
    I'm replacing every other resistor in the amp, with 1% metal film, and as I took out the power transistors to test them out of circuit, I will replace the thermal insulators with higher efficiency items...

I have fitted caps across the zeners but I can't comment about whether they improve the sound as I fitted the whole Dada kit in one go. :-(
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm Mark.

I have fitted caps across the zeners but I can't comment about whether they improve the sound as I fitted the whole Dada kit in one go. :-(
    What did you set the input sensitivity to?

I'm Clive.

I think it was 500mV.

I'm Mark.

I think it was 500mV.
    Cheers.
    I'm changing mine to 1V...

I'm matt.

I replaced all the small carbon resistors for Vishay mrs25 metal film. It gave more bite to the treble but it was a little bit ott. I then replaced the polystyrene caps for copper foil polystyrene and that balanced out the sound.

Just like matching hifi separates, there's a synergy in replacing components. I learned that from years of messing with the Naim preamp circuit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast