+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on Quad power amps.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigman80 View Post
    Until the Nakamichi Is out of the system as a preamp, it's pointless.

I can't recommend a quad, I did not like the 405 at all.
    I sold the Nak, I have a G Slee era V gold which I think is good enough for my vinyl set up, I use a Nagaoka MP150, about as high as I wanna go.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    I sold the Nak, I have a G Slee era V gold which I think is good enough for my vinyl set up, I use a Nagaoka MP150, about as high as I wanna go.
    Cool, what Preamp are you using

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Mike unless your speakers are broken or faulty they really won't be the issue. They're a decent speaker and jazz is not demanding programme (unless it's fusion or summat). But the usual plinky-plonk stuff is pretty easy on the system.
    Wow, I find the opposite, sax and trumpet can be a bit harsh on my system.
    Current system 1210 GR. CDP - Meridian G08. Amp -Sugden A21I - Sig. Wharfedale Lintons.

I'm Mike.

Cool, what Preamp are you using
    At the moment I'm just using a Naim nait 5!

Bigman80 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeandvan View Post
    At the moment I'm just using a Naim nait 5!
    Oh lol.

Well, preamp and power to sort out.

I'm Martin.

I know from experience that a 306 or a 303 with a passive gives a sweet and easy sound. Mike's having issues with stridency and harshness so that should solve it. It doesn't sound like your at the studio console but it doesn't sound pipe n slippers either.

Not that there are not many other ways of skinning the same cat but I just don't reckon Croft is the answer here as Mike uses his CD player a lot and I found the current Croft kit to be suboptimal with digital sources. It partners vinyl superbly well though. Someone told me Glenn Croft doesn't even own any digital kit, no guess as to why it is voiced the way it is then.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

I know from experience that a 306 or a 303 with a passive gives a sweet and easy sound. Mike's having issues with stridency and harshness so that should solve it. It doesn't sound like your at the studio console but it doesn't sound pipe n slippers either.

Not that there are not many other ways of skinning the same cat but I just don't reckon Croft is the answer here as Mike uses his CD player a lot and I found the current Croft kit to be suboptimal with digital sources. It partners vinyl superbly well though. Someone told me Glenn Croft doesn't even own any digital kit, no guess as to why it is voiced the way it is then.
    The Quad isn't where id go. Just being honest.

I'm Mike.

The Quads are cheap anyway, not much to lose. But I'm open to all possibilities, budget allowing.

I'm Martin.

The Quad isn't where id go. Just being honest.
    Where would you go then? I mean the Monarchy is a very good amp. No question. Really that should do the job with a suitable pre-amp. The speakers and the source are fine. I don't know the Nakamichi pre-amp though but agree that barring faulty speakers it has to be the problem. So keep the Monarchy and get a different pre-amp? Or is the Monarchy gone already?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Bigman80 Guest

Where would you go then? I mean the Monarchy is a very good amp. No question. Really that should do the job with a suitable pre-amp. The speakers and the source are fine. I don't know the Nakamichi pre-amp though but agree that barring faulty speakers it has to be the problem. So keep the Monarchy and get a different pre-amp.
    I would go for the Monarchy with a Khozmo passive preamp. Max spend £700ish.

I'd go passive because it's an easier delivery.

If not the Monarchy, I'd go after this.
    https://www.dba.dk/effektforstaerker...id-1052304338/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast