+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

I'm Martin.

Default Has Pop Music Got Worse In Recent Decades?

Hi

I feel I need to start a thread about what I feel is the dire nature of most pop music these days.

I refer to artists like Sia, Katy Perry, Ariana Grande and all related "artists" in this pop production machine. I just think its rubbish. It pretends to have depth and soul but I feel its as shallow and throwaway as yesterdays chip paper.

It just seems to be packing in all the latest autotune and digital effects but it has no real melody or lasting impression. Maybe a melody is buried in there somewhere. The lyrics are overblown and over dramatic. Has nobody told them that less is more! I may be generalising but I cant seem to like any of it. Has it just got more cynical in ticking the boxes?

The music just seems to be narcissistic in a more cynical industry concerned purely with the money. It seems to serve a look at me, self interested generation totally out of control. Its all me, me me and this seems to be reflected in shallow lyrics which pretend to be anthemic but are just naff. Is it aimed at kids only as I thought I would like some of it?

Is it me? Was pop music always this way or will the younger generation eventually return to better music from an earlier date

Heck I've tried this weekend to like something. I heard the Harry Styles one in the pub and thought that's ok on a first listen. However as soon as I realised it was him and heard it again, I didn't like it and thought it was ultra shallow/naff. Is that my prejudice showing as a fifty year old bloke?

I supose I've now become my dad. I will take a bit of Melanie or the Bulgarian womens choir anyday over this naff pop music which seems to have rapidly declined since the turn of the Millenium Lets discuss it

Best wishes
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 24-07-2017 at 04:17.

I'm Mike.

It's your age, pop/chart music has always been this way, you either like it or you don't, no matter which decade it's from 😉

I'm Martin.

It is age and becoming your father. Happens to us all.

However being objective about it I would still say that today's pop music is even worse than the pop music in my day ('70s/'80s). Ed Sheeran? - WTF? But the youngsters I know love his stuff.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Yes I was thinking that it is probably me.

Im not sure I even like the term "pop" music as I would like to think most of my tastes are more exclusive than that. I suppose its no different to when they were trying to ban Elvis Presley records.

I realise there has always been pop music around that Im not going to like. I tell you though that I would prefer the rubbish pop of yesteryear any day of the week.

Oh well I will just have to try and enjoy my period of life when Im shouting up the stairs to turn that awful racket down

You could hear what they were saying in my day (1980s) and sing along
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 24-07-2017 at 08:01.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Im not sure I even like the term "pop" music
    Dark Side Of The Moon had "file under Pop music" on the back.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm shahrin.

inspired lyrics of today.. groan...

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...d.php?t=185622
    Thorens td124 mk2 / Bokrand AB309/ 103r
    SLAT L75 / Jelco 850S / AT VM740ML
    Marantz CD63 / Bluesound / Musical Paradise 701 II/ ESP 500Hz eXO / PL Prologue 4 and Nord 1UP amps / JK Wynn semiactive NS1000 upgrade
    /ESP 700 Hz eXO / JBL 4333 components

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by drSM View Post
    inspired lyrics of today.. groan...

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...d.php?t=185622
    The transcription is spot on accurate
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm Kevin.

Definitely an age thing, but also helped on the way with shows like the xFactor, the voice etc.
    It is all commercially driven (as it always was) but the people driving it have changed.
    Kevin

Too busy enjoying the music....

European loan coordinator for Graham Slee HiFi system components..

I'm Huw.

must be an age thing...
    I keep going back to my 40 or 50 year old music.
    The thought of turning into my dad really unsettles me though.

I'm Grant.

A bit of both I guess. music is not as good as when I was young, or for that matter my parents. Thats not to say there are not good things going on today, but the quality is not there over all. I doubt many of the current acts will be remembered fondly in 50 years. Good music often comes from poverty and hardship, and there is not so much of that in west now. a bit like football stars. when we were young we played with a tennis ball and your skills became better for it.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast