+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 'ear we go - Ortofon Cadenza Red and Bronze

I'm Angus.

Hello there,
    For a long time I used Ortofon MC cartridges (MC10, MC20,MC25FL) and a few years ago I decided that I wanted to try something different. First up was an SAE 1000LT which was good. but not markedly different. A Denon DL-304 followed which gave a bit more detail and polish, but still very polite sounding. Then a run of AT cartridges - OC9/MLII, OC9/MLII re-tipped with a Fritz Gyger FG2 stylus and most recently an AT33PTGII. I liked all of them and I still have the AT33PTGII.

The AT33 has now been replaced for regular use by an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B which I can only describe as having more authority than the AT, while preserving many of the AT attributes. It is however very dependent on system matching - mine lives in an upgraded AT-1010 arm and feeds a Hashimoto HM-3 SUT.

Your musical taste virtually parallels mine (with a bit of Tangerine Dream thrown in!) and the Cadenza Blue is the current equivalent of the Kontrapunkt B so I think the Ortofon distributor had it right.

regards

Angus

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Yep, Delos has been looked at and also the Helikon if I adhere to the "Red" and "Bronze" analogy. But I need some clues.

What are the strengths of each? I have little idea apart from their price points (and that's a poor guide at best).

I'd buy either if I knew they'd do the trick.
    The Helikon was superceded some years ago. The Delos is the replacement and the least expensive of the Lyras.

Dynamics and neutrality are trademarks of Lyra cartridges, making most others sound bland and flat.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The Helikon was superceded some years ago. The Delos is the replacement and the least expensive of the Lyras.

Dynamics and neutrality are trademarks of Lyra cartridges, making most others sound bland and flat.
    Dave, there may be some Helikons still about.

Lyra Helikon SL £ 1,470.64 (before any, err, discussions about a final price) but it's the SL version which my phono could cope with.

What d'jer reckon?? Chasing Windmills?
    Source: Orbe SE / SME IV / Cadenza Bronze
    Source: WD NAS / Cyrus Stream X2 / Chord DAVE
    Source: Oppo UDP-205 (CD/DVD-A/SACD)

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp
    Loudspeakers: ProAc Response D28
    Cables/stands: Mark Grant G1500HD + Linn K20 + Cat 5e
    Other bits: Okki Nokki keeping things clean

I'm Andy.

I had the Orbe/SME V/ Helikon back in 2000 and it was a very nice combination indeed.

(Note to self why did you sell the Orbe?)

However l still have SME V but on a tweaked Gyrodec and Cadenza Black bolted to it, ( I wanted the Bronze however Ortofon where not making them at the time) The Cadenza line are good carts, however getting a demo of cartridges is near impossible.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by phonomac View Post
    Hello there,
    For a long time I used Ortofon MC cartridges (MC10, MC20,MC25FL) and a few years ago I decided that I wanted to try something different. First up was an SAE 1000LT which was good. but not markedly different. A Denon DL-304 followed which gave a bit more detail and polish, but still very polite sounding. Then a run of AT cartridges - OC9/MLII, OC9/MLII re-tipped with a Fritz Gyger FG2 stylus and most recently an AT33PTGII. I liked all of them and I still have the AT33PTGII.

The AT33 has now been replaced for regular use by an Ortofon Kontrapunkt B which I can only describe as having more authority than the AT, while preserving many of the AT attributes. It is however very dependent on system matching - mine lives in an upgraded AT-1010 arm and feeds a Hashimoto HM-3 SUT.

Your musical taste virtually parallels mine (with a bit of Tangerine Dream thrown in!) and the Cadenza Blue is the current equivalent of the Kontrapunkt B so I think the Ortofon distributor had it right.

regards

Angus
    Yes, I also still have the AT33-PTG II which I like, but it doesn't do bass like the SAE. The Kontrapunkt B is also a contender as there are some still about. It's an interesting consideration.

Amplification: Icon Audio PS 3 Sig Phono + Audio Research LS27 + Musical Fidelity A5cr Power Amp

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by bob4333 View Post
    Dave, there may be some Helikons still about.

Lyra Helikon SL £ 1,470.64 (before any, err, discussions about a final price) but it's the SL version which my phono could cope with.

What d'jer reckon?? Chasing Windmills?
    The Helikon was dropped, maybe, a decade ago. The Delos is a more sophisticated, advanced and better proposition and is less expensive, even before the AOS mates rate discount..

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The thread's moved on now, but I wanted to ask...

There were two Kontrapunks weren't there? I remember one of them sounding horribly thick, rounded and too 'analogue' sounding for me, but I seem to remember the other one sounding delightfully open, clear and natural. Long time ago now though...

P.S. Free 'AOS shill' for Hifi dave - cough -
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The Helikon was dropped, maybe, a decade ago. The Delos is a more sophisticated, advanced and better proposition and is less expensive, even before the AOS mates rate discount..
    PM sent.

I'm Bob.

So can anyone describe the sonic differences between say the Cadenza Bronze and the Lyra Delos? Does each have a "house" sound typical of their manufacturers?

And just how far behind is the Kontrapunkt B (which although superseded is still available).

montesquieu Guest

I head the Cadenza Blue at Jack 'nonsmokingman's place ... was absolutely superb with blues and jazz, and also withe the Classical I brought.

I owned a Jubilee a few years back ... maybe it was the setup but this sounded superior to me. Given the (relatively) sane price level could be worth a look.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast