+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which CROFT pre-amp?

I'm Andrew.

Default Which CROFT pre-amp?

Is there a general consensus of opinion as to what is considered the best Croft pre-amp?

Currently own the Micro Basic 25. I only intended it to be a stop gap amp but it's lived in my system for over a year and I love it.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

This (or one very similar):

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Andrew.

Thats the Charisma X. It's very heavily modified. I'd like to start stock and work up the modification ladder.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Spartacus.

Andrew, the Micro 25 is a step up from the Basic but if you haven't had this in your system, you could be perfectly happy with the Basic. I was and have both which I intend to keep, especially as the Basic is now discontinued. That in itself might suggest how much of a bargain it was. Marco should know, he's been championing the Basic for ages. Of course the best Croft amp currently available would be the 25RS which I haven't heard, and the 25R which I've heard but not in my system.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Andrew.

Yep, I know all about the 25RS but I wondered if the older designs were considered better in any way?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm James.

Why do you think Glenn stopped making his preamps with the larger Octal valves?
    Main system : VPI Scout 1.1 / JMW 9T / 2M Black / Croft 25R+ / Croft 7 / Heco Celan GT 702

Second System : Goldring Lenco GL75 / AT95EX / Pioneer SX590 / Spendor SP2

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Good point James, why do yo think he stopped making them?
    SS

VALVE
    PRE

I'm Shaun.

I have found in the past that there is a massive difference between the 6SN7 type valve and the ECC83 type of valve. Unfortunately, I now have no choice but to use the ECC83 type due to availability of decent preamps.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Having spoken with Glenn about this in the past, primarily it was because getting good NOS 6SL7s (or 6SN7s) was expensive, and current production ones sound crap in comparison. Also, reliability wasn't consistent. As anyone who buys NOS tubes knows, you don't really know what you're getting until you plug it in and listen to it!

They might measure fine, but could still be noisy or develop faults, after even just light use when equipment is tested - and the bigger valves tend to be more 'temperamental', in that respect.

Current production ECC83s are relatively cheap, readily available, are generally reliable and sound/perform consistently well. I also believe that the circuit they use is easier and less costly to implement - all of which makes it a no-brainer decision for Glenn to use, instead of employing the use of larger octal valves, which when properly implemented, do sound better but are more expensive to produce a preamp from.

That said, the current range of Croft equipment still sounds superb, but in a different way... Most people just want to buy equipment fit for purpose, out of the box that sounds great, without faffing around modifying things, so the current stuff fits the bill. However, if you are prepared to go down the modification route, and seek out an old Charisma or Epoch, then the rewards (after spending a not inconsiderable sum on the necessary components) are significant.

Do remember also that Glenn will build virtually anything you want to your bespoke requirements, so if you wanted a 6SL7 or 6SN7-based preamp, designed from scratch, he'll do it for you and put it into a nice case. Obviously, however, that route will be more expensive than supplying him with a Charisma or Epoch to modify, as with the latter the core components and circuit are already in place.

Therefore, there's plenty of choice out there for anyone who wants to get a Croft preamp. Whatever option you choose, you're guaranteed to end up with something rather special, which will provide significantly more 'SPPV value' than is available with designs other manufacturers are producing at many times the price!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Shaun.

Again, my previous experience of 6SN7 types is that they go microphonic in a relatively short time and therefore have to be replaced at yet more cost. I am of course referring to modern variants. I adore Glen Crofts amplifiers for their sound quality which is way up there with the best of British.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast