+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A few pics

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Vary nice Shaun,

Painterly and soft. Which film? may I ask. Are these 6x6 images- the frame is not though.

In the 80s people like Myerowitz and Shore and others started using negative Kodak colourfilm and that too 'L' type. Their dye transfer images were made to look painterly.
    Thank you very much for all of your comments. Marco, my response was also very 'tongue in cheek', please do not take offence.

Varun, alas very rare for me, these images were taken using a Nikon D1X camera with a 35mm lens. The shutter was triggered by the self timer whilst firmly bolted to a tripod. As already stated, the background was brilliant white and lit by two studio flash heads. The flowers were then front lit by two more studio flash heads.

In Photoshop a lot of work was done using levels and then the image was heavily desaturated to reduce the colours. I specifically wanted a cross processed effect were using an E6 slide film would be developed using C41 negative chemicals. This was all the rage a few years back.

Regarding the composition. It is purely my own way and any way would work. In the west we tend to read from left to right so I compose my photographs to be viewed the same way. My flowers generally look into the white space from left to right. The flower is effectively looking into the photograph the way we would. In response to Barry, a portrait would have worked just as well. It's simply that I choose not to do it that way.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Its a question of taste I guess.

Regards D S D L
    Davros, it is indeed a question of taste and I thank whoever that we are not all the same. How bloody tedious would that make the World...? What would be the point of doing anything...?

Shaun,

I could not agree more with issues about composition and standards. One has to have one's own approach.

My mother-in-law is a keen camera club photographer in Sussex. Every time I have shown her many of the photography books I have- even of the old masters such as Atget, Lartigue, Kertez or Cartier Bresson- she found the images appaling as they break the rigid rules of composition promoted by the Salons-camera clubs being one of them. Atget was doing this more than 100 years ago. His work has attracted a lot of re-newed attention because of that.
    Varun

Default Compositions

Shaun,

I am sure you know this masterpiece very well. Igor Stravinsky photographed by Arnold Newman.

Varun

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123