-
I did some more tube rolling on my Lampi DAC 7. It's the two-box version but I have mod the filament supply voltage to allow more precise control of the voltage and with improved ripple performance.
Rectifier: 6x5
So far I tried the stock Russian 6x5 (coarse sound), Raytheon 6x5GT and Sylvania 6x5GT. I liked the Raytheon the best as it has the best balance between resolution and refinement. The Sylvania is too polite in comparison. Note it could be due to the samples I have as I'm not sure the ones I have are NOS or not.
Output Tube:
EH 2A3 - This is the stock tube and I found it to lack life and extensions. Not recommended.
Sovtek 2A3 - This one is a surprise as it sounds fairly good. Good extensions and resolutions. Not the ultimate in refinement but with incisive bite. Sounds best when run with low filament (1.8V vs 2.5V). Good value for money.
EML 45/45 Mesh - Refined but lacks some excitement. Note the 45s I have may be too used so newer tubes may sound better. Not recommended.
EML 2A3/2A3 Mesh - The solid plate 2A3 sounds more extended than the 45 and have better resolution. The mesh plate 2A3, however, is even better by a wide margin. It has the best balance and resolution, refined and yet lively. The mesh plate 2A3 is by far the best in my L7 by a wide margin. Highly recommended.
I'd still need to try some old stock 45 of which there are plenty of variants - even mesh plates. May also get some 6A3 and 101D (or even 205D) to try as well. This DAC is a tube-roller's dream as the output stage is so simple and the power supply is easy to mod.
Happy listening!
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules