+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: FS: LS3/5a

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Oh Martyn, I didn't realise you use an 8000A still - I thought you were a Quad man... The 8000A MC input isn't as good as the 8000C offered and if you wish to stay with the brand, I'd look out for a late UK made (black cases) 8000C/8000PX or MX set, the later pre quite transparent (not as good as an AVI 2000 series or UK era 8000Q but better than the preamp in the 'A.' The X series power amps were DC coupled all through from memory and had a much leaner but ultimately clearer presentation, the 8000A sounding 'grey' and 'grainy' in comparison. I'd still say the later 8000A's were a cut above the sound we had from originals with the cables and speakers that were popular when the amp first appeared in the early 80's. And yes, I'm well aware of the pasting I had on the HUG because I feel and maintain that amps sound different using Harbeths as the speakers when using varied material and at various listening levels!!!!!

Above is my opinion based on personal experiences. It should be taken as read (but isn't always) that these 'personal' experiences/memories are subject to modification and may easily differ from other people's different experiences with various products. I hated the 8000A until the sources, cables and speakers we sold evolved to the point where the amp could work to advantage.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm andy.

Dave,

Have you any experience of the Tag McLaren AV32r SL/Bp/192 Processor/Preamp?,
    as i gathered they have Audiolab blueprint but are aimed at hi end AV applications.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Oh Martyn, I didn't realise you use an 8000A still - I thought you were a Quad man... The 8000A MC input isn't as good as the 8000C offered and if you wish to stay with the brand, I'd look out for a late UK made (black cases) 8000C/8000PX or MX set, the later pre quite transparent (not as good as an AVI 2000 series or UK era 8000Q but better than the preamp in the 'A.' The X series power amps were DC coupled all through from memory and had a much leaner but ultimately clearer presentation, the 8000A sounding 'grey' and 'grainy' in comparison. I'd still say the later 8000A's were a cut above the sound we had from originals with the cables and speakers that were popular when the amp first appeared in the early 80's. And yes, I'm well aware of the pasting I had on the HUG because I feel and maintain that amps sound different using Harbeths as the speakers when using varied material and at various listening levels!!!!!

Above is my opinion based on personal experiences. It should be taken as read (but isn't always) that these 'personal' experiences/memories are subject to modification and may easily differ from other people's different experiences with various products. I hated the 8000A until the sources, cables and speakers we sold evolved to the point where the amp could work to advantage.
    The 8000A was an upgrade on the A & R A60 I had before, one of the reasons was its facilities. It worked well with the BC1s. The HL Monitors, yes but not as good as with the BC1s.
    But as you know the HLs are preferred by me to BC1s.

( That is a bit radical for some on this Forum )

Incidentally, the Harbeth HLs are leaving tomorrow (!) Someone is going to give them an extended listen. My P3ESRs are coming back from my brother, so Christmas will not be 'Harbeth free.'

I have too many speakers anyway.
    Current inventory:
    My P3ESRs
    My HLs
    My LS3/5as
    The recently acquired Dynaco A25s
    The ( very old ) Radford BSLs

Some have to be 'hidden' in the loft...

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    I have too many speakers anyway.
    Current inventory:
    My P3ESRs
    My HLs
    My LS3/5as
    The recently acquired Dynaco A25s
    The ( very old ) Radford BSLs

Some have to be 'hidden' in the loft...
    Boy that's a lot of speakers... I only have one 'spare' pair and that's the LS3/5a's.... sitting on their stands on the landing with a sheet over them... I really must get round to selling them...
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm Shane.

How does the P3ESR fair, when placed against the back walls in a small room?

S.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    How does the P3ESR fair, when placed against the back walls in a small room?

S.
    It degrades its performance, as it emphasises the bass end.
    Basically it becomes unbalanced.

Loudspeakers like the Linn Kan ( which I definitely don't like...) use the 'wall effect' to give a balanced response, although the Kan is unbalanced anyway.
    In more ways than one...

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    Boy that's a lot of speakers... I only have one 'spare' pair and that's the LS3/5a's.... sitting on their stands on the landing with a sheet over them... I really must get round to selling them...
    I am attempting to reduce the number of speakers. The Radfords are at prof. sound engineer's flat.
    ( No, he isn't going to use them as PA speakers !! )
    Another friend, who has 'old-fashioned' tastes in audio equipment is wanting to hear them.
    The Dynacos are such interesting loudspeakers I am loath to sell them on. Mind you, they don't come up for sale in England very often. 'Yankland' has lots for sale.
    The HLs are in Wiltshire , and they are big, 2cu.ft. boxes.
    As we men know, the house has to be cleared by 'SHMBO' for the Christmas Season.
    Roll on the next school term and she is back to work.
    Hurrah !

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninanina View Post
    When you want to sell the LS3/5as, please PM me. A friend is building up a vintage system.
    Thanks
    M Miles.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn Miles View Post
    When you want to sell the LS3/5as, please PM me. A friend is building up a vintage system.
    Thanks
    M Miles.
    I bought them.
    My friend is a little 'old fashioned' and would not something 'modern' like the Stirling V2 .
    These earlier models were some of the last made with traditional Kef drivers so, perhaps, still meet the BBC spec.
    M Miles.

I'm Martyn.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    BUMP.

More pics below (Taken by previous owner)

S.

I have just taken delivery of a pair of Stirling Broadcast MS88 speakers and I will be selling these LS3/5as in the near future.
    I was planning to have them checked by Derek Hughes before I advertise them, but if anyone is interested in them
    before I do please contact me.

Of course, checking by Derek will have to be reflected in the price...

The cabinet damage to the veneer ( as shown in the pictures ) has been repaired.
    The damage on the bottom is not visible anyway.
    As for the price,
    they will be £430 plus shipping.

Collection is preferred.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast