+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 274

Thread: Lampizator Level 7

  1. #61
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 7,363
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    There seems to be quite a high number of hits on this thread so I'll assume people somewhere really are interested.

    Here's a pic from the top showing the size of the thing. It has the EML 45s in. The preamp next to it is large anyway. Take this same shot with a flash and you can see virtually everything inside. Even so, I am unable to determine the chipset being used. I can see two fair sized Dueland caps in it though.

    I got the Raytheon 6X5WGTs through, plugged them in and fired the DAC up. Instant impression? Absolutely terrible! Massive mid range tearing or ripping sound coming through. Hold on - it is getting better as time goes by. Even after about 5 minutes and TBH I think far longer I could detect some mid range ripping/tearing going on.

    These rectifiers have probably never been used since the 50s. But I know they were at least measured NOS. They were from a high sales high rep ebay seller stateside. Now they have around 20 hours on them they sound clean. They obviously need some time to stabilise? I was surprised because I have never come across this before in any valve I've used. I need to do a bit more swapping between the supplied Russian OTK and these to come up with some firmer conclusions.

    For interest's sake I swapped back to the knackered Tri-Vista SACD player I have. I've done it about 3 times now but it never lasts long. This once Stereophile A+ rated player gets beat quite markedly especially in terms of soundstaging and resolution, though to be honest I still like the sound it delivers. With the MF the band is some distance in front of you. With the Lampi, it feels a bit like you've moved forward a few rows - you're more enveloped by the sound. I've also noticed a propensity for it to throw images like they sound as if they are coming directly from the side of you. Really quite interesting to hear and it gives a feeling of disbelief - a sort of WTF? feeling is the best way to describe it. I've never heard my system do it before.

    Again beware of reading too deeply into any person's thoughts on hi-fi. The way this machine performs in my system will almost certainly be different in yours, though some basic traits will be consistent I expect. Valve rolling also comes down to personal preference in presentation. Needless to say there are plenty of cheaper very listenable machines that are great DACs for way less money

    Greg owes me a silver faceplate BTW - they couldn't source any at the time of the build for some reason.

    Last edited by User211; 25-08-2014 at 15:45.

  2. #62
    Join Date: Jan 2011

    Location: Geneve

    Posts: 80
    I'm Norm.

    Default

    So, what's the difference in SQ between the Big 7 and the 2 box L7?

  3. #63
    Join Date: May 2014

    Location: London

    Posts: 11
    I'm Jordan.

    Default ????

    literally have no idea what you guys are talking about lol

  4. #64
    Join Date: Aug 2013

    Location: London

    Posts: 129
    I'm Ked.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jorwoo14 View Post
    literally have no idea what you guys are talking about lol
    In a nutshell, Justin bought the best dac around and wants to tell everyone about it, anyone who will listen. He also feels alone at the top because the rest of us have not upgraded. I still have the Lampi 5. So he got the 7, then managed to source some exotic valves to go with it, and is living happily ever after

  5. #65
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 7,363
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    The bonz, on the other hand, appears to be trying to sell everything at the mo - speakers, preamp, power amp...

    ... now if he only upgraded to the 7... he'd be just dandy with everything he has

    Well, maybe

  6. #66
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 7,363
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    So, what's the difference in SQ between the Big 7 and the 2 box L7?
    Post 45 (see what I did there?). They don't quite sound the same, but they really are quite close WITH THE SAME output valves. However, you can't put Cunningham 45s in the 7. Disadvantage. Quite a big one, but then again I expect there are some killer 2A3s out there all the same.

  7. #67
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: gone

    Posts: 11,510
    I'm gone.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Blimey - I've seen that pre-amp on the left, and it's a Big Box, more of a good-sized power amp than a pre - that Lampi must be HUGE!
    .

  8. #68
    Join Date: Sep 2014

    Location: Belgique

    Posts: 5
    I'm Bertrand.

    Default

    The BIG7 is a dream DAC, but what I am waiting for is the "Level7-HeadDAC" which is supposed to come later after the release of the new HeadDac which is based on a Level4 DAC, with a headphone AMP built in (with maximum integration for optimal synergy)

  9. #69
    Join Date: Jan 2013

    Location: Bristol

    Posts: 7,363
    I'm Justin.

    Default

    Hm... I'm going to do some medieval tests on the Big 7... I'm thinking something and I'd like to see if the measurebating supports the perception.

    The metal cased 7 is no more according to the website - orders, or 95% of them appear to be for the Big 7.

    The B7 now seems to have a 101D option. So three output triodes are now available for use in this DAC. Excellent flexibility. I'm stuck with the choice of two being the first UK B7 owner. No problem, if I want to explore the 101D I'm sure it could be arranged. For a few dollars more...

  10. #70
    Join Date: Jan 2011

    Location: Geneve

    Posts: 80
    I'm Norm.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    Hm... I'm going to do some medieval tests on the Big 7... I'm thinking something and I'd like to see if the measurebating supports the perception.

    The metal cased 7 is no more according to the website - orders, or 95% of them appear to be for the Big 7.

    The B7 now seems to have a 101D option. So three output triodes are now available for use in this DAC. Excellent flexibility. I'm stuck with the choice of two being the first UK B7 owner. No problem, if I want to explore the 101D I'm sure it could be arranged. For a few dollars more...
    I think your Cunninghams may still have the best SQ. The 101ds will have more power. Check your email, i sent you a request for info yesterday.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •