+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Bake Off Section

MartinT Guest

I've had the same complaints in years past about the 64' pedal in the Ruffatti organ at Davies Symphony Hall, creating vibrations that could be used for slimming, to comments of "what on EARTH is that noise?"

As you say, no appreciation.

I'm Nigel.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I've had the same complaints in years past about the 64' pedal in the Ruffatti organ at Davies Symphony Hall, creating vibrations that could be used for slimming, to comments of "what on EARTH is that noise?"

As you say, no appreciation.
    Off topic again.

64' stops are few and far between. As far as I know there are only three in the UK: The Royal Albert Hall, Liverpool Anglican, and Hull City Hall. However, these are all 'resultant' or 'acoustic' stops, using a combination of a 32' and a 20' stop to create a beat frequency that sounds (or feels like) a 64' stop. The same technique is more commonly used to provide 32' stops on smaller instruments.

As far as I know there are only three 'full length' 64' pipes in the WORLD, although I could be wrong on that one. One is in Sydney Town Hall, and there are two in the USA.

Macey's store in Philadelphia reputedly has the biggest working pipe organ in the world, with (I believe) some 500 stops! If they had one of those in the Gateshead Metro Centre I might just take an interest in shopping!

Sorry to have jumped onto one of my personal hobby horses, but just in case nobody has seen this video from Macey's, click here to have a listen! Audio quality from YouTube isn't brilliant, but it is worth a listen all the same!

Nigel.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by RichB View Post
    Hi Marco,

I'd like to suggest the bake off section is somehow made more distinct, as it is all of the posts relating to any event (such as the NEBO4 thread started by Steve) are now all absorbed within with the get togethers section and it seems difficult to distinguish between events.

Would it not be better if we had an AoS get togethers header and then sub threads for each event? Kind of like we do with Album Club. That way a casual viewer could more easily see any possible events of interest.
    Good idea, Rich. We'll add a sub-forum to the Welcome section, where the bake-off reports currently reside, and I'll drop everything into there. Leave it with me, and if it hasn't been done by this time next week (as things are hectic), feel free to give me a poke in the ribs!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Good idea, Rich. We'll add a sub-forum to the Welcome section, where the bake-off reports currently reside, and I'll drop everything into there. Leave it with me, and if it hasn't been done by this time next week (as things are hectic), feel free to give me a poke in the ribs!

Marco.
    Good stuff, cheers Marco!
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
    Macey's store in Philadelphia reputedly has the biggest working pipe organ in the world, with (I believe) some 500 stops!
    Hi Nigel, I have a recording of the organ in the Atlantic City Convention Hall, which claims to be the biggest in the world.

From Wikipedia:

The organ has four entries in The Guinness Book of World Records including "Largest pipe organ ever constructed", "Largest musical instrument ever constructed" and "Loudest musical instrument ever constructed", and holds several records in the organ world. It is one of only two organs in the world to have an open 64' rank, and the only organ to have stops voiced on 100" of wind pressure. Its console features seven keyboards, called manuals ... It has 1,235 stops.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Marco.
    Hi Marco, a friendly poke! Oooerr
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Steve.

Here is one to be going on with http://progmeister.com/north-east-hi...e-4-set-august
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    "Bake off" isn't obscure enough already?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234