+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Wine & Whisky Thread

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    That's mainly because the attitude towards drinking beer there is different. Europeans favour the use of smaller glasses, replenished more frequently, in order to keep beer cool, rather than having a pint of beer sitting around for longer getting warm

However, if you drink pints of beer quickly enough, I guess that isn't a problem! I like it abroad when specific beers have their own matching glasses. This is especially prevalent in Belgium, where you get 'beer lists' in pubs and restaurants, rather like one gets wine lists here. Class!

My bugbear in the UK is pints of lager being filled right up to the rim of the glass, allowing no room for a head... That almost never happens in Europe, where an inch or so is allowed at the top of the glass for a nice frothy head, which is how lager or beer should be served... I want to have a nice 'beer moustache' after I take my first sip!!

Marco.
    Ale, as distinct from lager should be drunk at room temperature. A distinction lost on Americans with their taunts at our "warm, flat beer".

Agreed, re. Belgium beers and matching glasses.

Regarding head, that depends on the brew and how quickly the glass is filled. Personally, the size of the head doesn't bother me - it's all about the taste: some brews have very little head. (As a smutty aside: what do you think the reaction would be if one were to approach the bartender and ask if they "could give me some more head"?)
    Last edited by Barry; 19-06-2014 at 23:49. Reason: spelling!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread