• 8 out of 10

3 21.43%
  • 9 out of 10

0 0%
  • 10 out of 10

1 7.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Album Club - Week 123: 10.12.2013: XTC - Skylarking (1986)

I'm ChrisB.

OK, I'll go for an 8/10 on this one.
    I've got all of the XTC albums and a few of them, I'd rate as 12/10, if I could. This isn't one of their best, as far as I'm concerned, but I'd rather take this than anything by Level 42!

I'm Martin.

Through the years I have missed XTC completely, so this was a new band for me. Must have had a young family at the time and new music took a back seat. Was still listening to 60/70s soul and blues.

It surprised me as I was not really expecting this sort of music from XTC. Some tracks no so good but the rest were ok, so 7/10 from me.

Thanks for your suggestion as its broadened my listening scope and I will dig some more XTC out from Spotify.

I'm Paul.

This album in my experience takes a while to get into and is not my favourite XTC by any means. The remastered vinyl version with recording in phase and the controversial cover is a great improvement and enables one to appreciate the album fully for the first time. 8/10 from me.

I'm Barry.

Right I'm back after a few more listens, not bad, cheerful, tuneful, a bit like a slowed down Kinks. 7/10.

I'm Lawrence.

Not at all familiar with XTC, so gave this a listen this morning with interest. Unfortunately, I found it quite depressing! I'm not sure if it's the vocal or something else but the band sound very miserable to me, even on the higher tempo tracks. I did find 'The Man Who Sailed Around his Soul' quite engaging, but on the whole it's not for me. 3/10 sorry....

Lawrence

I'm Mike.

Just worth having 6/10 for me
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

MartinT Guest

I completely missed this for some reason. As it turns out, its very eighties sound is not doing much for me at all. 4/10

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I completely missed this for some reason. As it turns out, its very eighties sound is not doing much for me at all. 4/10
    Funnily enough they have done very similar albums that are much better
    Will put them on the "you must hear this" list for the next do
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12