+ Reply to Thread

Thread: External Crossover

I'm James.

Default External Crossover

I'm about to rebuild some speakers and am wondering if anyone has moved from an internal to an external crossover and seen any real benefits?

Also often the internal wire used in speakers is cheap thin wire, I've often wondered if it would be beneficial to rewire using the same cable as your speaker cable.

So I'd basically have talk 3 cable going to a rebuilt external crossover, then at the other end talk 3 coming out and going to the drivers.

I'm Andrew.

Speak to paul at rfc components he lives on the forum and is extremely good at building external tannoy cross overs!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by selby View Post
    I'm about to rebuild some speakers and am wondering if anyone has moved from an internal to an external crossover and seen any real benefits?
    Yes, I did this not long ago when I rebuilt my Yamaha NS-1000Ms. The main benefit of moving them outside the cabinet is the ability to position the components in a more ideal relationship to each other. Using better quality components also means using bigger components and this is easier to do if they are mounted externally. I would also take the opportunity to bin any circuit board and just solder the components directly to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by selby View Post
    Also often the internal wire used in speakers is cheap thin wire, I've often wondered if it would be beneficial to rewire using the same cable as your speaker cable.
    I've also done this, I rewired my previous speakers with the same speaker cable I use and I also rewired my current speakers but mostly because the old wiring had started to show signs of oxidisation.

I don't think there is any benefit in using the actual speaker cable, but there is a benefit in using good quality copper multi-strand (this is not expensive) and soldering joints rather than using push on connectors.
    Account Deleted

I'm Adam.

When I rebuilt my Ferrograph S1 speakers a few years back I re-located the crossovers to a new case outside the main cabinet for two reasons:

(1) I didn't like the inductors in the crossovers sitting so close to the rear of the KEF B139 bass driver's magnet

(2) The new capacitors were so much bigger than the old ones, the crossovers wouldn't go back in their intended place inside the cabinet!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Paul.

Yes, go external James. It's worth the effort. Top tip...Talk 3 is good but not too flexible. Use something like Van Damme Studio (blue ) or Vlack Rhodium Twist (both inexpensive) for the links to the speakers as they're much more flexible than Talk 3. The latter is a super speaker cable but not really designed for flexibility for this sort of application. The BR is also easy to strip and use for hard wiring duties too.

+ Reply to Thread