+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vintage Hi Fi anyone?

I'm inthescottishmafia.

“Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm sorted.

QUAD (that is all)

I'm Geoff.

Seems to me there's nothing to be gained by regarding equipment from different times as separated from the rest. I use a mixture of old and new(ish) gear with remarkable success! As those who have heard my system would confirm.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
    Vintage Hi-Fi more than Rocks
    True. I've had loads of old speakers that rocked but this was mainly due to the inadequacies of 1970s speaker stands. Stick 'em on a sturdy pair of modern stands and they stay nice and still.
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Andr'e.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Seems to me there's nothing to be gained by regarding equipment from different times as separated from the rest
    Because people have a really bad habbit of judging Vintage against new.

I'm Nick.

Ok so have now acquired two pioneer amps to go with my Luxman table. First was a SA 420 which I have to say it sounds very good. This was an bit of an experiment £40 amp sounds fab. I couldn't then resist a 606 it just looks fantastic - love the VU Meters, all that brushed aluminium and huge knobs. It also sounds great! Loving the vintage hi fi journey!

I'm Andr'e.

Um! i read a few forum posts regarding Ferrograph 'F307'.. very funny really, fully rebuilt they would change their tunes hat's for sure..

I'm Howard.

Default Sugden A21

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Wooden sleeve Sugden A21 is a reality check for me too, it's great to use as a benchmark for other stuff.
    Ali, I TOTALLY have to agree with you, its good to find someone else who loves this amp from the 1960's. It was always much better sounding than its larger A48 brother. The detail and sweetness of the A21 is unbelievable. Strangely it is more obvious with older speakers. When I had Arcam 2's I boought a Myst Tma3 to replace the A21 as it "sounded" better.

Much later, after replacing the Arcam 2's and finally using much earlier IMF ALS40 speakers with the Tma3, the power supply of the amp failed (set wating in the attic to be repaired) and I dragged out the A21 and it sounded so much better.

I love the smell of the electronics and heatsinks once hot as well!

Wierdhowler

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Aye it's a nice amp, must drag mine out if the cupboard.
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234