+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HiFimeDIY Sabre USB U2 Async DAC and SBTouch (EDO)

I'm Will.

Default HiFimeDIY Sabre USB U2 Async DAC and SBTouch (EDO)

I have a secondary system in my kitchen, the criteria being small cheap and grease resistant

Until recently it was a second hand SBTouch (EDO), a Mini-T amp, and some fleabay mission 780 SEs, and quite a nice sound it produced too, certainly good enough to cook to

I recently acquired a FiiO E18 portable USB DAC for my phone/tablet/PC and out of interest also tried it in my Kitchen set up with excellent results, but given it has other duties (and I gon't want it covered in lard!) I thought I'd look for a more permanent solution.

I'd spotted some good reviews on here, and the rest of the internet of the HiFimeDIY Sabre DACs, and given the price point I took the plunge.

The HiFimeDIY Sabre USB U2 asynchronous DAC and companion USB isolator arrived yesterday, along with a passive Belkin USB hub, so about £60 in total.

Setup was relatively easy, once I'd confirmed it needed the hub (I also use one with my main SBTouch and MDAC setup), and straight away I noticed a distinct improvement ion the clarity of the top end...

I'll leave them running for a while before I make a more detailed judgement, but at the moment things look very promising

What a budget improvement for an SBTouch...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by WAD62 View Post
    I have a secondary system in my kitchen, the criteria being small cheap and grease resistant

Until recently it was a second hand SBTouch (EDO), a Mini-T amp, and some fleabay mission 780 SEs, and quite a nice sound it produced too, certainly good enough to cook to

I recently acquired a FiiO E18 portable USB DAC for my phone/tablet/PC and out of interest also tried it in my Kitchen set up with excellent results, but given it has other duties (and I gon't want it covered in lard!) I thought I'd look for a more permanent solution.

I'd spotted some good reviews on here, and the rest of the internet of the HiFimeDIY Sabre DACs, and given the price point I took the plunge.

The HiFimeDIY Sabre USB U2 asynchronous DAC and companion USB isolator arrived yesterday, along with a passive Belkin USB hub, so about £60 in total.

Setup was relatively easy, once I'd confirmed it needed the hub (I also use one with my main SBTouch and MDAC setup), and straight away I noticed a distinct improvement ion the clarity of the top end...

I'll leave them running for a while before I make a more detailed judgement, but at the moment things look very promising

What a budget improvement for an SBTouch...

That's a nice price for a decent quality Dac. I wonder how it would compare to something like the HRT MsII+ in terms of SQ

Regards,
    Alex
    Technics SL1210| Jelco SA-750| Benz Micro ACE SM MC| Squeezebox Touch/MCRU linear PSU | Cambridge Audio 851C | High Resolution Music Streamer II+ / Linestreamer+ | Raspberry Pi 2/IQ-Audio DAC+ / Max2Play | Conrad-Johnson ET3 Control Amplifier| Conrad-Johnson LP125sa KT120 Power Amplifier| Avalon NP Evo 2.0 Speakers| Cardas Audio Quadlink-5C Speaker Cables and Interconnects| Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E-14 equipment support

I'm ILOB.

Its a really nice DAC for the money
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Its a really nice DAC for the money
    ...sounding even nicer after a few days 'burn in', ridiculous value for money
    Cheers, Will

I'm Jerry.

I use the same dac when listening to music on my computer (and the same speakers). Do you think the isolator makes a difference?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Will.

Hi Jerry, to be honest I've not tried it without...

Based on my previous experience of the success of isolating my MDAC from my SBTouch, via an iFi Power (ok a bit different), I went straight for the isolator, and at £17 I didn't have a second thought.

P.S. I think after about 4 days it's peaked, excellent detail an control
    Cheers, Will

I'm fabulous.

Sounds like a good solution... I must admit to being interested in this http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route...&product_id=84
    lossless > Raspberry PI-3b+ > allo Boss > Van Damme Purple interconnect >
    Myryad Z210 CD Player > Chord Chameleon Silver+ interconnect >

into Magnum IA170 amplifier > Van Damme Blue 4mm cable > Mission 752 Freedom Floorstanders
    Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-AD700 Open-back

I'm Will.

...I'd not seen that one before, looks like a major 'rip off' at £42.44!!!

FYI there appear to be 2 postal options, for slightly more, about £8 for my 2 components, they will ship in 4 days from a German warehouse, otherwise it's a longer cheaper wait from China...
    Cheers, Will

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by guyhayton View Post
    Sounds like a good solution... I must admit to being interested in this http://hifimediy.com/index.php?route...&product_id=84
    I took the plunge on the UAE23+ usb DAC and the power supply..... I'm frankly gobsmacked at the quality of the sound. Its just so natural and although I bought it for a second system I actually prefer it to my V-link/Rega DAC combo playing tunes from a laptop in the main system. it is an audiophile bargain at the price.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

+ Reply to Thread