+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Shure M3D - yet another truly great classic cartridge

TheMooN Guest

I'm hoping to give this combo a spin shortly once I have sorted a suitable armboard ~

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one.

Looks very interesting, Roger - keep us posted!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Oh! - nice, looks like a modern (Jelco) version of the original Ortofon RS212.
    Barry

TheMooN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by barry.d.hunt View Post
    Oh! - nice, looks like a modern (Jelco) version of the original Ortofon RS212.
    Half a Ceeegarrr there bdh ~ It is an Ortofon RS-212 , I just polish it a lot !

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

They don't arf fetch a lot of dosh these days. Hope you like it

A quickie regarding the N21 stylus... Mine has a much smaller (but still chunky) cantilever compared to the N3D original (with diamond yanked out...). is this the case with anyone else who has the N21?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

TheMooN Guest

I was planning on a spare N21D however they seem to be $21.95 + $30 + Shipping + approx 20% duties /fees etc etc , kinda adds up

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    I was planning on a spare N21D however they seem to be $21.95 + $30 + Shipping + approx 20% duties /fees etc etc , kinda adds up

hi.. have quite a few vintage nos 'finetone' n21d i would let them go for £17 inc p/p
    pm if your interested

thanks steve
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMooN View Post
    Half a Ceeegarrr there bdh ~ It is an Ortofon RS-212 , I just polish it a lot !
    Goodness, I've never seen one looking that good before! Are you sponsored by Duraglit?
    Barry

I'm steve.

i refitted the m3d back into my tonearm tonight and lost a few hours setting / adjusting and generally playing about..

i had replaced it with a vintage dynavector 30a, it was a close thing, the dynavector tracked a little better, the m3d a little more bolder/fuller sounding with just a little less detail..

the set up is fidelity research fr64s sw,( with the s/steel arm tube) thorens 124 and an 18 gram headshell.. some may have heard it at the wigwam show
    this year it sounded very well in my veiw..

i was wondering how 'mass' affected the performance of the m3d
    i had used the cart with a 2p ( around 7 grams) blue tacked to the headshell, with no real improvement

any way i found a 3" length of 5/16 stud, it weighed in at 30 grams i blue tacked it above the arm tube lengthways, i just managed to balance it...

i was so shocked by the improvent in performance i took it off and tried it without and then replaced it again..
    the speed, transients and fine detail all showed real improvements..

this cartridge was not designed for todays tonearms...it really needs holding steady.. but what a sound, a genuine improvement..

i think a very high mass diy tonearm is in the pipeline..

steve
    Last edited by SPS; 07-07-2009 at 21:56.
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

TheMooN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    i think a very high mass diy tonearm is in the pipeline..

steve
    Most Interesting Steve as I hope to borrow a friends TD124 for my own dabbling

Length of Lead Pipe next then !
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617