+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Capacitors for speaker crossovers

I'm Nodrog.

Default Capacitors for speaker crossovers

Hi folks, this is Dumbo calling................

...as usual, I am attempting something I know nothing about.

One of my play speakers has a 12" bass unit and a T27 at the mo and sounds pretty decent but.......... I have a pair of HF1300s on the way and I would like to use both tweeters. The bass unit is connected direct.

Looking at the specs it seems the HF1300 rolls off between 13000 and 15000htz. According to the on-line calculators, to get a simple 1st order crossover at 13000 to the T27 and 3500htz to the HF1300 I need capacitors of 5.68uF and 1.53uF.

So, what is the best sort to get and where the hell do I get them?? Looking on line, these sort of values don't exactly leap off the page at me.

Advice please

I'm Richard.

As one dumbo to another I know just enough to know there is a bit more to cross-over design than that. Are you thinking of using the T27's as "super tweeters" or are they going to share the frequency band with the HF1300's. It so happens, I know the last 2 Andrews to head up research and product development at Kef (I trained at karate with one, and the other is the twin brother of my "guru" as you call him)

And the boy Khoubesserian has designed speakers - the Ventrical and at least a couple of Gales. Would you like me to make enquiries on your behalf? If so, PM me as much relevant information as possible. (Although I fear their answer will be akin to my cartridge loading question, and is going to involve a microphone, and spectrum analyser)

Best of British mate

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    As one dumbo to another I know just enough to know there is a bit more to cross-over design than that. Are you thinking of using the T27's as "super tweeters" or are they going to share the frequency band with the HF1300's. It so happens, I know the last 2 Andrews to head up research and product development at Kef (I trained at karate with one, and the other is the twin brother of my "guru" as you call him)

And the boy Khoubesserian has designed speakers - the Ventrical and at least a couple of Gales. Would you like me to make enquiries on your behalf? If so, PM me as much relevant information as possible. (Although I fear their answer will be akin to my cartridge loading question, and is going to involve a microphone, and spectrum analyser)

Best of British mate
    Ta Richard but I want to keep these as simple as possible so all the usual rules about crossovers are out!! Just a capacitor for each tweeter HF1300 coming in gently at 3500htz and rolling off naturally at 13000 or so and the the T27 as supertweeter coming in above that.

All the box speakers I have ever really liked have had a very simple crossover in. Its only for play anyway so if I don't like the result I can try something else.

Thanks for the offer though.

I'm Nobody.

Gordon you won't get those values but Caps do have a tolerance. I always use Ansar 'Supersound' Polyprops, they do a 1.5uF & 5.0uF CAP 5% tol

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Gordon you won't get those values but Caps do have a tolerance. I always use Ansar 'Supersound' Polyprops, they do a 1.5uF & 5.0uF CAP 5% tol
    Thanks for that. I'm stuck out here in France and I can't keep tapping Alan (Firebottle) for all the bits and pieces I want to play with. Where do you suggest I get some from. I only need two of each.

I'm Nodrog.

Well, I decided to do it the easy way and use eBay.

Can someone please explain why the UK companies either won't post to France or charge £12+ to send two small packets. From our friends in Hong Kong the postage is £2!!

Last time I got something from there it arrived in six days. From the UK 10 days. I do wonder what is happening.

I'm James.

Audiophonics are based in France http://www.audiophonics.fr/capacitor...4c0c25da1708f5

Mundorf MCap 400v are good enough for most things

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    Audiophonics are based in France http://www.audiophonics.fr/capacitor...4c0c25da1708f5

Mundorf MCap 400v are good enough for most things
    Thanks James,

Will investigate for future bits. It will only ever be for non serious stuff so I wouldn't want to pay a fortune.

+ Reply to Thread