+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: How to achieve a cheap and fundamental upgrade!

MartinT Guest

Sorry

I'm Spartacus.

Maybe focus on this bit, especially 19hz to 98hz?

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Frequency Regions:
    - No modal boost: 1hz to 19hz
    - Room Modes dominate: 19hz to 98hz
    - Diffraction and Diffusion dominate: 98hz to 392hz
    - Specular reflections and ray accoustics prevail: 392hz to 20000hz
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    .............. I can't make head nor tail of it. Can anyone translate?
    Sorry Martin, the link was meant to clarify room-modes, not go into information overload from what is usually analysis of a room at design stage. The room incidentally is a bare box, no kit, nada, which is not really what we are dealing with in reality. The RT60 for instance is not really relevant for small rooms, and the degree of diffraction, reflection, absorption do not take into account gear, existing bookshelves, curtains, furniture, dog, cat, carpets, ornaments, you, etc..

If a scientific approach is adopted, you need measurement at each stage to measure how the room response has changed. The ideal datum would of course be a bare room, but for most that would be entirely impractical. Frequency analysis does not tell you what treatment needs to go where, only what dips and troughs are there pre and post experimentation at the listening position.

Whereas we seem happy to experiment with expensive mats, cables, interconnects, fuses, plugs and sockets, etc. with ears as ultimate arbiter of improvement, they seem inadequate to the task of DIY room treatment, lest you over or under treat the room. Granted, such experimentation will not yield perfect response and will be a compromise, with or without measurement, but with rare exception it will be a vast improvement on the status quo, which was the purpose of Mark's original post.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
    Just need the rockwool for it.
    The pattern makes it look wonky.

Nice material Stu.
    Could I just ask what sort it is - and how 'close' the weave is? This information does have a bearing on where that sort of material can be used and how thick the rockwool will need to be.
    If you can 'breathe' through it easily then it's a relatively open weave, but being printed I'm guessing it's more canvas like?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011