+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Gromit's Tecchy Blog

I'm Hugo.

The dogs survived! Installation of the Time Step PSU was straightforward, but I left the transformer in-situ (the instructions suggest going the whole hog and removing it even though the mains cable is taken out). All is well, and a record is now playing. The presentation of the sound is immediately different - rather harder, I feel; however there are nuances and harmonics clearly audible that I cannot recall hearing before (even on my old HD Spacedeck). So, I shall leave it running for a few days before listening critically, by which time my J7 upgraded Technics arm should be here to add to the fun.

I took the opportunity to check the level of my OL armboard, and it was not level with the platter. A few minutes of cursing and fiddling with washers has fixed the problem. The change in the overall character of the sound is probably due to this rather than the Time Step PSU.

Next quest - suitable threaded adaptors to allow me to screw some Stillpoints into the Technics' chassis. Why do the Americans have to use archaic Imperial threads?

Update: Stillpoints balls locate quite nicely in the base of the SL-1210, with height adjustment provided by Stillpoints Inverse Risers - BIG difference in musical flow and overall enjoyment!

Last edited by Ammonite Audio; 12-02-2009 at 22:50.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Shuggie, why not start a 'blog' of your own on a separate thread? If you want I can move your post accordingly.

Congrats on the Time Step, btw. I'm sure once it runs in will start to really do the business

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Hugo.

Marco

If you feel that I have somehow hijacked Gromit's thread, then I am sorry; however since it was this very thread that inspired me to get the Technics in the first place, followed in short order by the Time Step PSU, I thought that my experiences were complementary to Gromit's. No matter - if I have anything further to say, then I shall do as you suggest and start a new thread.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Shuggie,

Nope - nothing to do with hijacking, matey. I just thought you might fancy your own space that's all

It might make it easier to follow what both you and Richard are up to rather than things getting jumbled up together. I quite like the idea of each member's T/T project having its own 'blog', but what you do is up to you.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Shuggie,
    Marco wasn't having a pop. AOS is a teccy friendly forum so it's nice to hear of peoples different routes in their own rights.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    recovering audioholic

Technics: SL 1210 mk2 / KAB PS1200 psu /Trans-fi Terminator / AT-OC9MLII / WD ph3s /Bluesound node 2i/Musical Fidelity Ms3i/ WADkit 6550 / Tannoy revolution xt8f

Gareth.

I'm InSpace.

Teccy's are poo... I hate them!

Not that I'm bitter about my money going down the bog when I tried to buy one or anything, like...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Homar View Post
    Teccy's are poo... I hate them!

Not that I'm bitter about my money going down the bog when I tried to buy one or anything, like...
    Dont hate the player,hate the seller

I feel your pain Mike,bum deal that.
    Paul

My Stezza
    TT=NAS Spacedeck,Ortofon RS309,Ortofon Jubilee,HEED Orbit. AMP=World Designs PreIII & PhonoIII,Eastern Electric M520. SPEAKERS=Audio Physic Tempo V. CD=Meridian 206,Monarchy DIP,Audio Note DAC Zero.

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    Marco

If you feel that I have somehow hijacked Gromit's thread, then I am sorry; however since it was this very thread that inspired me to get the Technics in the first place, followed in short order by the Time Step PSU, I thought that my experiences were complementary to Gromit's. No matter - if I have anything further to say, then I shall do as you suggest and start a new thread.
    No apology needed Shuggie - certainly not where I'm concerned.

Will be interested to hear of your TS exploits as it runs-in (mine seemed to take around 48 hours for it to level off).
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Hugo.

Chaps, sorry that I got the wrong end of Marco's stick as it were.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    ................Will be interested to hear of your TS exploits as it runs-in (mine seemed to take around 48 hours for it to level off).
    I have left it running while I'm away for the weekend, so hopefully it will be run in by the time I get back. I picked up a few used LPs today, so they will present a good excuse for listening to unfamiliar material (once they've been cleaned on the record cleaning machine).

Since we're chatting, what are your thought so far about mats? I know that you have had unexpectedly good results from a Ringmat; however my experience has been mixed - specifically the Ringmat seems to cause excessive vinyl roar on the unsupported outer part of the LP, even though it undoubtedly has Shining Parts elsewhere. That roar was so distracting that I have stopped using it. Present favourite is the SRM Tech acrylic mat, but it needs trimming to avoid the Technics' platter lip. Stuart at SRM cannot do a version of the mat specially modded for the SL-1210 (as they are machined in large batches), but has suggested putting one of his thin silicone mats between the acrylic and the Technics platter. He has some 'seconds' available for £20. That could work, and maybe for the sake of £20 it's worth a go, but I'd value your thoughts here. Experiments with various rubber mats have not been successful, but maybe I should try the SRM mat on top of the Technics rubber mat, particularly as this would give plenty of scope for VTA adjustment on the Tecnoarm.

No doubt, whatever works with the Tecnoarm may not work with the Technics arm, but therein lies the fun of experimentation!

I'm Tony.

Shuggie,
    I tried a fair few mats on my SL 1200 and found the best combination (of what I had available) to be a trimmed down SRM silicone on the platter with a 3mm Funk Achromat on top of that combined with either a weight or a michell clamp.
    I tried various rubber thicknesses, extreme phono "none-felt" with and without their "speed" mat and the Iron Audio acrylic (which has a rubbery underside) and of course your basic felt.
    These were all with the stock arm.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920