+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Sky

I'm Jerry.

Default Goodbye Sky

Got a letter from Sky yesterday informing me that my monthly subscription is going up. No it's not because I am going to cancel it.
    What to get instead? Should it be a media centre or Freeview HD with a subscription to Netflicks or Lovefilms?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm graham.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Got a letter from Sky yesterday informing me that my monthly subscription is going up. No it's not because I am going to cancel it.
    What to get instead? Should it be a media centre or Freeview HD with a subscription to Netflicks or Lovefilms?
    Well, we pay nearly a hundred beer tokens monthly to Sky and I have decided enough is enough. I have followed Stan's advice here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16369
    and the wireless thingy is on it's way. We are going to give Netflix a go with the free month and downgrade the whole package to the very basic minimum.

I'm Ron.

Two years ago my son and his girlfriend (now his wife) sold their town house in Buckingham and moved to the countryside, about 6 miles away, He asked Sky if he could cancel his monthly subscription for three months only and then take it up again, The man from SKY said NO... mean bastard! so my son and his wife never took up on Sky again after paying for something they were not using for a short period... funnily enough they now have my grandson whose coming on for 10 months old now, we really, really rib him down at the pub
    I've never wanted to take up Sky thinking 'why should I pay the equivalent to the cost of a brand new TV set each year when I'm not into whatever Sky has to offer... pushy bastards'!

I'm Andrew.

my sky bill is £20 a month. The best thing to do is a channel audit to see which channels you use the most. Personally I would bin sky tomorrow but the missue enjoys watching various reality shows which are only available on sky channels. If I can find a cheaper solution which enabled me access to these channels I would take it. Sky is not value for money. It works out cheaper to get a cineworld monthly card for £14.99 and see as many films as you like. Anyway rant over...
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm David.

Just tell them you will cancel unless yet drop the price ... Then meet ten half way at what you are currently paying!
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

I have never needed anything more than Freesat and Freeview myself thank goodness.

My Dad has Virgin Media, which I think is much better than SKY - the broadband is fantastic, over 30MB download around 2MB upload, with no usage caps
    He gets TV (75 channels) with Pay Per View and everything on demand you can imagine, a hard drive recorder box with twin tuners, telephone with freecalls in the evening and weekends, plus the broadband all for £38.00 a month which I think is not bad at all.

http://www.speedtest.net/
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Dave.

I cancelled my sky subscription over a year ago and haven't regretted it once. Freeview HD is good enough.

If I want to watch a particular sporting event I tool on down the pub or watch it on my PC (any sporting game is free to watch if you know which site to visit)

I have a WDTV live hooked up to my TV and it is networked to my home server for films.

To be honest I watch TV less and less these days.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Jerry.

If I got a freesat box would the Sky dish connect to it and would I need to get it re-aligned?
    The humax Foxsat-HDR/1TB seems to get good reviews.
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

If I got a freesat box would the Sky dish connect to it and would I need to get it re-aligned?
    Yes it will connect to it, and no you don't need to get the dish realigned.
    Last edited by Stratmangler; 10-07-2012 at 18:53.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm John.

The humax Foxsat-HDR/1TB seems to get good reviews.
    I have a Humax Freesat twin-tuner. Great piece of kit. Doddle to set-up and use. Used to have SKY but the VFM it gave was very poor. Endless repeats and not a lot of substance.
    Sent by me using an appendage

SME Model 15/V tonearm, Lyra Dorian, EAR Phono Box.

Luxman 509X amp.

PMC 25 23i speakers.

Innuos/Roon/Qobuz/I-Pad. Oppo UDP-205.

Cables by Kimber, Yannis and Audioquest.

Audioquest Niagara. Tube Distinctions Mains power filter. Project RCM. Zerostat.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast