+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Re Dacs for the Squeezebox Touch

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by pete_mac View Post
    Yep, that's him!

My unit was the first version of the DI (there is a new version released earlier this month) and I fitted an upgraded Tentlabs XO which improved the upsampling performance markedly.

The optional Class A power supply (or similar power supply, or even a battery) is required if the unit is being used as a reclocker rather than using USB power.
    Pete, does the input cable to this have to be high quality (that's assuming you believe in digital cables being different)? Just that you can easily spend more than the unit's cost on another cable.

Chris

I'm Pete.

I'm using two reasonably-priced Grave Science SPDIF cables in my system (around $AUD95 each) and they do the job just fine. The Grave Science are comparable with the Black Cat Veloce SPDIF cables in terms of performance, so the bang for buck is quite high.

I do have some ebay-special, $10 jobbies lying around which I might fit between the SBT and Synchro Mesh (once it arrives) to see if there is any percievable difference between different cables when used pre-reclocker.

Sadly I never thought of trying this whilst I still owned the audio-gd unit.
    ••• Logitech Squeezebox Touch > audio-gd NFB3(2014) w/ E9018 > fully recapped/restored Sansui AU-X701 and AU-719 > a healthy sprinkling of expectation bias > PMC GB1i speakers > Aurealis and Audio Principe cables •••

I'm Bob.

FWIW I have an audio-gd DI and use Mark Grant G1000 digital interconnects in and out of the unit. I had a much more expensive Ecosse digital cable and TBH couldn't tell the difference between this and the MG.

I use the DI as reclocker between Touch and DAC (Metrum Octave) and as a USB>S/PDIF converter from the Mac.

The DI needed a couple of weeks running before it sounded good - from new treble was pretty "splashy" and not at all nice. I bought mine from AmpCity BTW.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123