+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Other Technics alternatives to 1200/1210

I'm Guy.

There always seems to be a supply of Mk1 SP10's being sold in the US. Far fewer here although I've seen the odd one for sale. The Mk3 is very rare, particularly in the UK. A different beast to the Mk2, much more powerful motor & heavier platter too.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/TECHNI...3/SP10MK3.html
    Last edited by pure sound; 28-01-2009 at 11:52.

I'm Peter.

There was an SP-10 Mk1 on ebay just a few days ago, don't know if it sold.

This, about the SP10 Mk1, taken from http://de.geocities.com/bc1a69/technics_eng.html

"The motor was controlled by reading fluctuations of speed of the platter by a tachometer and comparing that signal to an electronic reference signal. So the speed has to drift a little before it is regulated again."

Which is probably the root of the Direct Drive turntables always hunting for the right speed thing.

Since I'm not a turntable collector, I wouldn't punt on a SP10 mk1.

cheers
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

Hi Marco, yes and no. Nothing is ever black and white in the analogue world. A well designed DD will improve with a well designed crystal PLL. That's all I can say.

Regards

Dave

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Understood, Dave. All this hypothesising is fine but the bottom line is a good SP10 or modified SL-1210 pisses over about 95% of what's made today, and at often much lower cost

As such, the world of Technics D/D ownership is a most happy one

Peter (and also Dave),

"The motor was controlled by reading fluctuations of speed of the platter by a tachometer and comparing that signal to an electronic reference signal. So the speed has to drift a little before it is regulated again."

Which is probably the root of the Direct Drive turntables always hunting for the right speed thing.
    Indeed, but Quartz locking solves this problem, no? I don't think the SP10 or SL1200/1210 suffer from any such "hunting" issues, particularly when used with high quality PSUs such as the KAB or Time Step.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Indeed, but Quartz locking solves this problem, no? Not really, it's in the design, re-read my post about PLL's ?

Dave

Too technical for me! You'll need to explain it in layman's terms. Do the SL-1200/1210 or SP-10 suffer from "hunting" issues or not? That's really all I'm interested in knowing.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Marco, it's not that simple. There is hunting and hunting. Does a belt drive suffer from hunting? to a degree yes.

Does the SL-1200 - SP-10MKII? not much really, but the SL-1200 is improved by our mod as you can see at www.SL-1200-MK2.com

If life was simple, we could say definitive that model X turntable is the best, but it isn't like that.

I can't explain in layman's terms what has taken me years to understand. You need to read some articles about motion feedback and PLL's in general.

Regards

Dave

I can't explain in layman's terms what has taken me years to understand. You need to read some articles about motion feedback and PLL's in general.
    And so what's taken you years to understand I'm likely to grasp in a few hours by reading some books? I don't think so!

Fair enough though, Dave. I'll stay content in the knowledge that my ears and extensive experience of using turntables for over 25 years tell me that the modified SL-1210, whatever degree of "hunting" issues there is present or not, is a fabulous sounding turntable and able to compete with the best there is available.

Filling one's head with other 'nonsense' without having a full grasp of the technicalities involved is not really awfully productive

Theories (or even some facts) are all good and well but the proof of the pudding with hi-fi is always in the listening...

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Peter.

Look at it this way. The world's most popular rubber band turntables slow down under dynamic load, they have low torque motors, and rely on the platter inertia to keep them going under dynamic load. The Nottingham analogue turntables have delibertely low torque motors to avoid transmitting motor vibrations to the Turntable platter.

A Technics DD (SL1200 or SP10 mkII) for example, will increase torque under load to maintain rotational speed.

Either will work if well implemented.

You pays yer money and your choice.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.