Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Jico shipping times.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I'm cheating, but have a look here -

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable...hp?f=19&t=6674

and follow the links..

It's usually been the thing to alter the capacitance as seen by the cartridge, 'cos it's easy to do. However, despite the standard load being 47K, some cartridges do seem to need either higher (68K approx) or lower if they're peaky like some old Deccas (30 - 40K), to fine tune the hf response.

I have no knowledge of the Precept at all I'm afraid. Some of the older AT VM based models had a falling treble and increasing the impedance and/or capacitive loading if possible may well lift the treble a tad. Other modern AT's are trebly in comparison (120/440 models) to make them more "CD like" in balance, especially with japanese vinyl pressings, which seemingly balance them out nicely.

Can't be more specific I'm afraid. I love the AT120E I have, used in a low mass and not too rigid arm (oh alright, a Garrard AP76 ) and I'm sure I'd also love the AT440MLa as long as azimuth and VTA is adjustable to fine tune the line contact tip.

Any help?

P.S. I for one, found the Grado prestige range to be a bit dull, the dullness getting worse as the models went from black to gold the resonance "sparkle" being refined out as one goes up the range. Grado have recently? announced a "1" replacement range, with slightly reduced tip mass and less turns on the internal coils. I have no real idea, but I wonder if the reduced moving mass might be a slightly shorter cantilever to increase generator movement to counteract the reduced coil efficiency, but the reduced coil turns may actually aid HF response and loading requirements. Purely amateurish guesswork, but good for them if there's a genuine improvement here
    Thanks Dave , very helpful , i don't think it needs any special loading , I'm going to try a different tonearm lead this weekend courtesy of David Brook as i need to find out if the SME leads are Van Den Dull as many claim , need to do a little surgery on my 1210 base 1st though .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Mark.

I've played around 30 lp's with it so far. Sounding very good. There was a quick valve swap in the amp in the middle of this, but everything is sounding really rather nice.
    Stylus cleaning is now done using a little pot of some sort of putty that you lower the needle into for a few seconds. Not too long or it will sink too far. Works a treat and will stop any of my little mishaps in the future.
    Big thumbs up for the SAS tip. Without it I'd be having to spend quite a few quid on a replacement cartridge.
    A shiny new copy of Clapton Unplugged (2lp 180g) arrived in the post this morning. I'm rather happily spinning that with a slightly cheesy grin.
    Mark

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'd like to say that I'd play the CD with an even cheesier grin, but things CD wise aren't running to plan and good as the Digit's audio output is, I'm thinking coupling cap change (or removal) instead of enjoying the music which flowed so freely from the Micro-Seiki, which is still sulking
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Mark.

What you want is one of them vrds 7's. Might be the cheaper mech, but lasers are still cheap and mine does sound rather loverly for less than a ton.
    Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345