+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26

Thread: Nad 3020 vs Nad 3020a

  1. #11
    Join Date: Jul 2010

    Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

    Posts: 11,165
    I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

    Default

    The thing with the 3020 was that it had a pretty large power supply for it's fairly lowly output power. Where so called 50W Japanese amps fell down driving difficult loads the NAD just didn't give a toss & simply supplied all the current the load needed

    Your 50W Jap amp with a compromised transformer & low capacitance couldn't tackle a reactive load, where as the NAD with it's 25 or 30W (8 ohm) was happy to even power severely reactive loads & deliver much more power than the Jap stuff could. They were even happy driving Linn Isobarics
    Bests, Mark



    "We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

  2. #12
    synsei Guest

    Default

    Can I throw the NAD C series amps into the ring as well? I owned a C350 for a couple of years and it was a really gutsy amp. Mine didn't come with a phono stage but I ran a Thorens TD316/LINN LVX+/AT95 through a CA 540p into the NAD which was hooked up to a pair of Mission 773's and it all made a very agreeable noise. I paid 40 quid for my C350 off ebay

  3. #13
    Join Date: May 2010

    Location: Brisbane

    Posts: 1,593
    I'm Bernie.

    Default

    I have a C350 and a C372 and they are both very good amps. I particularly like the drive of the C372.
    Bernie.

  4. #14
    Join Date: Mar 2010

    Location: London, UK

    Posts: 210
    I'm Rob.

    Default

    The NADs are attacking

    C350 for £40 is really good price, cheaper than 3020, but probably better sounding.
    Rob

  5. #15
    synsei Guest

    Default

    It is a great amp Roberto especially if you like Rock or Dance music, although it doesn't sound shabby playing delicate material either. NAD conservatively rate the C350 at 50wpc but in the real world we're probably talking closer to 70wpc. It will also not be embarrassed being fed with music from quality sources way beyond its pricepoint, as I discovered when I set mine up to demo it with my current CDP for the guy who bought it from me

  6. #16
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

    Posts: 14,540
    I'm David.

    Default

    The 350 was just a tad "cloudy" when compared with its peers I found, but that's considerably better to listen to than a thin-toned disaster of old from the far east.. and the cost was extremely reasonable.
    I can't go on and I can't go back, I don't feel so matter of fact,
    I tried and tried to make good sense, What's the good to try it all again?

  7. #17
    Join Date: Oct 2011

    Location: Wisconsin, USA

    Posts: 272
    I'm Barry.

    Default

    I used to sell the old 3020s, and while they were frequently returned (cold solder joints, etc.) loved them as they sounded VERY musical (I'd like to get one and spend just a few bucks getting it 'rugidized' for a budget system). If you are familiar with James Boyk of Performance Recordings, I believe he likes a budget system of original 3020 w/ NHT 1.1loudspeakers.
    While we're on NAD, anyone have thoughts on the 216 THX amps? - I got two for free from a friend who's always upgrading.

    Best,
    Barry
    Last edited by jazzpiano; 06-01-2012 at 19:23. Reason: grammar

  8. #18
    Join Date: Jul 2010

    Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

    Posts: 11,165
    I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzpiano View Post
    While we're on NAD, anyone have thoughts on the 216 THX amps? - I got two for free from a friend who's always upgrading.

    Best,
    Barry
    Ok so they aren't pretty but who gives a crap with 200W RMS per channel 8 ohms - you got the bargain of the century

    They certainly sound rather good, very similar to the jazzed up looking versions which were the S series (I think ).
    Bests, Mark



    "We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

  9. #19
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Bournemouth

    Posts: 5,332
    I'm Dan.

    Default

    Back to the 3020I any good.
    Quad 33 Pre with Quad 303 Power Amplifier
    Quad ESL 57 Loudspeakers
    Sony RCD W100 Transport
    Schiit Bifrost 2/64 DAC
    Thorens TD 165 with Shure M75ED / Radioshack PreAmp

  10. #20
    Join Date: Feb 2008

    Location: Middlesex, UK

    Posts: 4,481
    I'm Alex.

    Default

    I like the idea of using the 3020 as a pre only, think this applies only to the originals ones and the 3020i. The Proton 520 has this facility, and seems to be very similar to the 3030i.

    I like the Proton 520 a lot (have three of them), NAD 3130 is pretty good too.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •