TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower
it's a good thread this. I, like Hamish and others, wouldn't mind having a go with some supertweeters but it seems from this thread that you either have Maplins jobbies at 10 quid (got to be crap?) or Pioneer et al top notch from £400 an upwards. Is there no middle ground? Something at 150 notes would be pretty appealing...
Simon
MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks
Twitter @siashmore
Fostex made some very nice ones here in the states for Radio Shack,they are branded Realistic, They are a real value and not over priced,watch ebay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Realistic-Su...#ht_500wt_1361
more Fostex super tweeters
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/super-tweeters/
Last edited by goraman; 21-11-2011 at 12:49.
Jeff :UBERTHREADKILLER
Location: West Lancashire
Posts: 620
I'm Lucky.
TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower
You are quite right Darren, I should have said that some aluminium tweeters beging breakup at 16KHz. A lot of it is down to design as you point out. How thick the material is, the shape of the dome, the youngs modulus of the alloy used etc, etc...
I'll let you know what 120Db @ 10Hz sounds & feels like some time next year![]()
Bests, Mark
"We must believe in free will. We have no choice"Isaac Bashevis Singer
Location: East Riding of Yorkshire these days
Posts: 4,775
I'm Shaun.
I use Dali Ikon 1's which have a fabric domed tweeter and a ribbon supertweeter for extended frequencies. The supertweeter definitely creates a sound that is audible producing as it does a rather beautiful space and air to the sound and a nice 'sparkle'. I love this addition to what would otherwise be quite ordinary.
I use floor standers in my 2nd system that have rear facing 'supertweeters'. As an experiment I did a listening session with them covered over with a piece of card. I could certainly sense a loss of space and precision in instrument placement. This was hardly a scientific test though, as expectation bias could have played a role. However, I have tried it on others and not told them whether covered or not, and all (well, OK, 2!) could tell one 'state' from the other.
Of course, I don't know what the cross over frequency is for these, so they may be just reproducing much of the front facing tweeter information just at a lower SPL. I can certainly hear them doing something though, so at least part of their output must be within the hearing range of someone who is 50 something.
Lindemann Network Bridge > McIntosh MHA150 > Shahinian Larc speakers
I had a pair of Townshend supertweeters very nice gloss black finish custom factory finishso I have some experience.
I first used them atop a pair of Quad 22L's driven by a Chord power amp via an Icon Audio passive preamp there was no doubt they "made a difference". Bizarrely, when switched in (setting 3 was best) they extended the bass a tad but also improved the focus of the soundstage) I did a blind-test with a mate and we both could hear the difference with them in. Interestingly, the biggest difference was with DVD's and less so with CD/MP3 and less still with vinyl.
When I changed to the Croft Pre/Power and the Epos M22i's there was no audible difference with them in or out and so I sold them on.
Looking back I think they are a huge cost for a little audible benefit - certainly poor bang-for-your-buck
Steve
Always a little further