+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 156

Thread: Super Tweeters - Fact or Flights of Fancy?

  1. #131
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: U.S.A. Neo-Socialist Kalifornski

    Posts: 3,264

    Default

    Thanks, Mark
    They do sound nice, they do bring CD's and lose-less files a little closer to the sound you would expect from a nice LP (lots more sparkle at the top) and not overly in your face.

    A big step up from the Vifa soft domes and ring radiators I have had in the passed.
    Jeff :UBERTHREADKILLER

  2. #132
    Join Date: Aug 2010

    Location: Montseny National Park, Catalonia

    Posts: 3,254
    I'm John.

    Default

    I'm not particularity fond of sound of many metal piston hi frequency drives.
    As a sweeping generalisation they are a bit like D Class amplifiers; wonderful until they step out of their comfort zone.

    http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/...r-design2.html
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

    John.

  3. #133
    Join Date: Jul 2010

    Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

    Posts: 11,165
    I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

    Default

    I wouldn't have ever touched one John until I heard The Yamahas. Like yourself I just don't like the colouration caused by breakup
    Bests, Mark



    "We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

  4. #134
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: U.S.A. Neo-Socialist Kalifornski

    Posts: 3,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    I'm not particularity fond of sound of many metal piston hi frequency drives.
    As a sweeping generalisation they are a bit like D Class amplifiers; wonderful until they step out of their comfort zone.

    http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/...r-design2.html
    That was a great read,written 10 years ago. Since that time I'm sure some refinement and improvements have been made.
    These tweeters sound far better than my Vifa soft domes ever did.
    I also had the Vifa 1 inch Ring Radiator tweeters and they really never seemed to smooth out,where in my face and dispersed like a lazer beam.

    It sounded like Audax created the soft dome so they must know something about tweeters. OOPS SOUNDS LIKE POLK INTRODUCED THE SOFT DOME,Looks like Audux just refined them.
    Jeff :UBERTHREADKILLER

  5. #135
    Join Date: Aug 2010

    Location: Montseny National Park, Catalonia

    Posts: 3,254
    I'm John.

    Default

    Things have moved forward a bit since then
    For most of us mere mortals we would be hard pressed to tell the difference between modern ferro cooled, doped silk composite, dome tweeters and the exotic metal variety.
    I’ve always got on well with ScanSpeak mid range and hi range
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

    John.

  6. #136
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Deleted

    Posts: 6,566
    I'm Deleted.

    Default

    Well, if you are using CD then it can't be producing anything above 20kHz because there is a brick-wall filter that means no signal exists above 20kHz or below 20Hz.

    The last so called super-tweeters I heard were producing huge amounts of output well below 20kHz.
    Account Deleted

  7. #137
    Join Date: Apr 2008

    Location: Cheshire, UK

    Posts: 2,832
    I'm Clive.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Well, if you are using CD then it can't be producing anything above 20kHz because there is a brick-wall filter that means no signal exists above 20kHz or below 20Hz.

    The last so called super-tweeters I heard were producing huge amounts of output well below 20kHz.
    I agree, their main function seems to be to boost the upper end of stardard tweeters. The 20kHz+ part being mostly irrelevent.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

  8. #138
    Join Date: Jul 2010

    Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

    Posts: 11,165
    I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YNWaN View Post
    Well, if you are using CD then it can't be producing anything above 20kHz because there is a brick-wall filter that means no signal exists above 20kHz or below 20Hz.
    Sorry Mark, but Red book is capable of less than 1Hz, in fact it can go to DC or as near as damn it I agree just about with the top end though, nothing doing over 22KHz 21Khz in a lot of cases with steep rolloff filters & 20KHz still with steep rolloff filters

    It's not perfect...I seem to remember someone or lots of people saying it was

    I have lots of CDs here that have sub 20Hz output, while you are supposed not to be able to hear it I'd suggest not listening to those that say you can't

    You just need speakers that can reproduce it...
    Bests, Mark



    "We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

  9. #139
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Deleted

    Posts: 6,566
    I'm Deleted.

    Default

    I have speakers that can reproduce it (20Hz) - I just don't have CD (and I'm not likely to either ).

    I understood that the Red Book specification for CD limited its frequency range to 20Hz (but apparently it doesn't) to 20kHz - I know SACD allows output up to 50Khz.

    (no need to be sorry Mark, CD isn't my thing and I don't consider myself an expert regarding it)
    Last edited by YNWaN; 20-11-2011 at 23:49.
    Account Deleted

  10. #140
    Join Date: Sep 2008

    Location: West Lancashire

    Posts: 620
    I'm Lucky.

    Default

    Good tweeter design means more than the materials used. Some well designed aluminium tweeters are known to have their first break up modes way out of the audible range. Also titanium has been similarly 'engineered' Remember JBLs pleated titanium tweeters? It's simply not true to say that aluminium tweeters begin to break up at 16kh - it's just too sweeping a generalisation.
    For a long time I owned a pair of Amphion Xenon three ways - these had a wide bandwidth produced by an all aluminium driver compliment.
    I am interested to hear that class D amps are OK within their comfort zone. I guess this depends on how large their comfort zone is... Any amp will sound nasty when driven into clipping. Ive never heard my Tact power amp sound anything other than fantastic, even when driven very hard indeed into my Magneplanars or Sonus Fabers.
    The Man with the suit and the pace. Knee deep in the dead.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •