+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 156

Thread: Super Tweeters - Fact or Flights of Fancy?

  1. #121
    Join Date: Aug 2010

    Location: Montseny National Park, Catalonia

    Posts: 3,254
    I'm John.

    Default

    Nope, I’m quite prepared to accept there are harmonics that are not directly audible to the majority of humans. I’ve seen them on a scope when playing my Sax


    Still not convinced that a decent “ordinary” tweeter won’t reproduce these harmonics up to say 30kHz and I’m extremely skeptical of any sort of human perception beyond this
    Anyway, I certainly wont be forking out £300 to £400 to find out if anything above 30kHz makes my brain go, Ahhhh, bat music.


    Edit. I cant help wondering if these harmonics are perceptible then why aren't we all running around clutching our heads because the natural world produces them in abundance never mind all the electronically generated high frequencies that we've surrounded ourselves with.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

    John.

  2. #122
    Join Date: Jul 2010

    Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

    Posts: 11,165
    I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

    Default

    Most tweeters will be in serious breakup mode from about 20KHz upwards..

    Soft domes will start at about 13KHz, but it's fairly innocuous as they are soft & it is damped. Aluminium will start complaining in a nasty way at about 16KHz, Titanium approximately 19KHz...

    But Beryllium is way out there at 27KHz 2425_animado.gif

    Bests, Mark



    "We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

  3. #123
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: U.S.A. Neo-Socialist Kalifornski

    Posts: 3,264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Most tweeters will be in serious breakup mode from about 20KHz upwards..

    Soft domes will start at about 13KHz, but it's fairly innocuous as they are soft & it is damped. Aluminium will start complaining in a nasty way at about 16KHz, Titanium approximately 19KHz...

    But Beryllium is way out there at 27KHz 2425_animado.gif

    This post is very educational,Is this why people love the old Yamaha's with the Beryllium tweeters?
    I am often shocked at the price of these old Japanese speakers.

    Look at number 2 ,Yamaha NS 1000 http://forums.audioreview.com/speake...ears-1885.html
    Jeff :UBERTHREADKILLER

  4. #124
    Join Date: Jul 2010

    Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

    Posts: 11,165
    I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

    Default

    Probably Jeff The midrange is Beryllium as well by the way

    If you'd have seen my face the first time I got to listen to a pair I think you'd understand, my jaw would have hit the floor if I was close enough

    You need the right type of amp to drive them though, give them the wrong one & they sound bloody awful. They simply show up how bad the amp is
    Bests, Mark



    "We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

  5. #125
    Join Date: Aug 2010

    Location: Montseny National Park, Catalonia

    Posts: 3,254
    I'm John.

    Default

    Hmm, I think it rather depends on the quality of the tweeter
    However, I agree that soft domes break up more nicely than metal
    Anyway, dancing time, or in my case this is prolly more like it with a bit of thisand maybe if i dont trip over much some of this
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

    John.

  6. #126
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: U.S.A. Neo-Socialist Kalifornski

    Posts: 3,264

    Default

    What do you guys think about these tweeters.
    They are in my speakers.
    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-dome-tweeter/
    http://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/TW025A28.pdf

    Do they spec well?
    Jeff :UBERTHREADKILLER

  7. #127
    Join Date: Aug 2010

    Location: Montseny National Park, Catalonia

    Posts: 3,254
    I'm John.

    Default

    I’ve deleted this comment because I can see some very silly arguments ensuing.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

    John.

  8. #128
    Join Date: Aug 2011

    Location: Bacau, Romania

    Posts: 1,215
    I'm Bob.

    Default

    I would argue that despite all scientific evidence to prove we cannot, there are aspects of science which have not yet nailed down what we perceive. I also always thought a super tweeter was something like Stephen Fry. Go figure....

  9. #129
    Join Date: May 2008

    Location: U.S.A. Neo-Socialist Kalifornski

    Posts: 3,264

    Default

    A human super tweeter (Meet Fred)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EiM8Pa91SQ
    Jeff :UBERTHREADKILLER

  10. #130
    Join Date: Jul 2010

    Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

    Posts: 11,165
    I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goraman View Post
    What do you guys think about these tweeters.
    They are in my speakers.
    http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...-dome-tweeter/
    http://www.madisound.com/store/manuals/TW025A28.pdf

    Do they spec well?
    Audax make some rather good drive units & I'd say that those look pretty damn good to me I'm not sure about the gold plating as it looks a tad bling, though there may well be some sound () reasoning behind applying it. Like lead, gold is a very soft metal & will tend to damp the titanium diaphram. Lead oxidizes & it's not particularly good for you, where as gold doesn't oxidize & looks a lot prettier

    Must be a really thin layer of the stuff or the tweeter could never be as sensitive as it appears to be. 104Db @ 0.5m is equivalent to 98Db @ 1m

    Distortion looks to be very low to.. Nice I just hope a mild contour network was stuffed on the tweeter to lower the output a tad between 8 - 16KHz to bring the whole thing flat. Not too difficult at the end of the day..


    Quote Originally Posted by bobbasrah View Post
    I would argue that despite all scientific evidence to prove we cannot, there are aspects of science which have not yet nailed down what we perceive. I also always thought a super tweeter was something like Stephen Fry. Go figure....
    Science never really proves anything, it's just there to debunk bad theories
    Bests, Mark



    "We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •