+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 121

Thread: Tannoy Lancasters

  1. #91
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    One more question: shall I use solid silver (40 years old) wire in teflon insulation for the tweeter? I would connect the tweeter part directly with the crossover.
    Thanks,
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  2. #92
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    I really don't know - give it a try, and if you like it, keep it!

  3. #93
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,358
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    A quick suggestion... seeing as you have the backs off the speakers why not earth the driver? I've been thinking of doing this myself but it's only something I've heard about.. some say it has sonic improvements and some don't.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  4. #94
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,358
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vencel View Post
    One more question: shall I use solid silver (40 years old) wire in teflon insulation for the tweeter? I would connect the tweeter part directly with the crossover.
    Thanks,
    I'd stick with copper mate...
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  5. #95
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    A quick suggestion... seeing as you have the backs off the speakers why not earth the driver? I've been thinking of doing this myself but it's only something I've heard about.. some say it has sonic improvements and some don't.
    What do you mean by earthing the drivers?
    I've never seen and heard about it. Could you maybe describe it in more details?

    Thanks for the suggestion. I will stick to copper with the HF unit as well.
    I know that for the bass thick copper wire is suggested, but should it be solid core, multistrand or litze? What diameter (solid, multistrand or litze) is suggested for the HF unit?
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  6. #96
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    For the bass finally I did not order the AN-D but I bought UPOCC Neotech 1,2mm diameter solid core copper wire. I got today the 1,5 and 3,3uF Bennic capacitors. They are much smaller than the ClarityCaps so the fit nicely in the original crossover. This way all capacitors are replaced in the crossover but the resistors are the old ones.
    I hope this upgrade will improve the sound. I still have to resolder all solder points and to clean all connections (especially in the rotary switches).
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  7. #97
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,358
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    mine is the same thickness for the HF and sounds superb.

    Earthing speakers is very much something that is a 'try it and see'. It's (apparently) best if the whole system is earthed via a 'star' terminal and that goes straight to a copper rod buried in the ground. Russ Andrews sell the terminals but I don't like having my leg lifted as the prices there are still back in 2006... stooopidly expensive.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  8. #98
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Here is a photo of the upgraded crossover :-)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22181492/P1040822.JPG

    Combination of ClarityCaps and Bennics. If I would only use Bennic capacitors the whole thing would fit more nicely but I ordered the ClarityCaps before I realized that I can buy Bennic caps locally.
    I am not sure which one is better: ClarityCap or Bennic.
    This is only one crossover, I still have to do the other and I have to install the new wire as well.
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  9. #99
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,805
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Hi László,

    Any chance of uploading that image through Photobucket or Imageshack, where it can then be viewed instantly and resized properly for message boards?

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & regulator mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat with Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight. Isonoe feet & boots. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm with Denon DL-103GL in a Denon PCL-300 headshell, fitted with Funk Firm Houdini and Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp and Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp, fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

  10. #100
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi László,

    Any chance of uploading that image through Photobucket or Imageshack, where it can then be viewed instantly and resized properly for message boards?

    Marco.
    Sure, here it is. Thanks for the suggestion, I've never used imageshack before and was wondering how could I attach a larger photo :-)

    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •