+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 121

Thread: Tannoy Lancasters

  1. #71
    Join Date: Aug 2009

    Location: Staffordshire, England

    Posts: 43,457
    I'm Martin.

    Default

    'NOT the suited span though same distance as good as really rare. '

    http://floorstandingspeakersok.co.uk...l-concentrics/

    Current Lash Up:

    TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > Troels Gravesen Faital 3WC-15.

  2. #72
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    Those LE1 cabinets must be huge - they are significantly taller than Marco's Lockwoods; also the two cabinets do look to be constructed differently. Much better to start fro scratch, I reckon.

  3. #73
    Join Date: Jan 2008

    Location: Wrexham, North Wales, UK

    Posts: 110,805
    I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

    Default

    Hi Hugo,

    Those LE1 cabinets must be huge - they are significantly taller than Marco's Lockwoods....
    Erm, no.... My Lockwoods are 112cm (H), 72cm (W) and 46cm (D). But those (black) LE1s do look nice!

    From the link:

    Dimensions, approx have been 111 cms high, 61 cms far-reaching as good as 44.5 cms deep. Lockwood cabinets of this distance have been deliberate to be really special as good as sought after to operate with any fifteen in.
    I do agree with that last sentence!

    How are things going now with your Lancasters?

    Marco.
    Main System

    Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & regulator mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat with Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight. Isonoe feet & boots. Ortofon RS-212D tonearm with Denon DL-103GL in a Denon PCL-300 headshell, fitted with Funk Firm Houdini and Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

    Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp and Denon AU-310 SUT.

    Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

    CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

    Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

    Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp, fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

    Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

    Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

  4. #74
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Erm, no.... My Lockwoods are 112cm (H), 72cm (W) and 46cm (D). But those (black) LE1s do look nice!
    Maybe the photo has been stretched - they do look disconcertingly taller than yours. They do seem to be wrecks, requiring a great deal of work to be domestically acceptable and it would certainly be possible to build something better from scratch.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    How are things going now with your Lancasters?

    Marco.
    I have all the new crossover bits and the Audio Note AN-D wire; and all things being well I will construct the new boards this weekend. I have chosen a nominal value of 4.5mH for the main HF section inductor - having read as much as is online about the original HF autotransformer, I wonder if it is correct, mainly since the autotransformer allows for 1.2x stepup of HF energy, which is clearly not possible unless I use the same sort of device (or the original autotransformer as Martin did in Denmark). Listening will tell, of course. I don't suppose that you have a note of what Dave used for the big HF inductor in your crossovers? Maybe there is a label on the inductor?

    Crossover aside, I am also going to play around with the resistive vent and the amount of internal stuffing (all reversible). Having asked around for advice, I have come to the conclusion that experimentation and listening is the key here, rather than maths.

    It's too early to decide whether the Lancasters will be staying. They do some things that are wonderful, but listening to them has shown me just how wonderful the Avalons are too. Tinkering with the Tannoys is harmless fun, though!

  5. #75
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: Hove Actually

    Posts: 3,947
    I'm Imjustsurviving.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    'NOT the suited span though same distance as good as really rare. '

    http://floorstandingspeakersok.co.uk...l-concentrics/

    I saw those as well but put off by the odd cabinets
    Jon


    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.




    Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

  6. #76
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    I have all the new crossover bits and the Audio Note AN-D wire;
    May I ask what lengths did you order from this wire and where did you get them from?

    Regards,
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  7. #77
    Join Date: Mar 2008

    Location: Galashiels

    Posts: 14,034
    I'm inthescottishmafia.


  8. #78
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Thanks for it. I am wondering about buying the AN LX which is the Audio Note version of Kondo KSL-SPc. I just don't know what length should I buy and if it is worth buying the more expensive LX instead of the AN-D.
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  9. #79
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vencel View Post
    Thanks for it. I am wondering about buying the AN LX which is the Audio Note version of Kondo KSL-SPc. I just don't know what length should I buy and if it is worth buying the more expensive LX instead of the AN-D.
    Probably not, bearing in mind how much copper wire is already in the drive units' coils. As for length, work out whether you want to wire both positive and ground terminals on the drive units to the crossover (recommended) or just use a single ground wire for both; also whether you're going to use the 4-pin plug or solder the wires directly to the LF and HF connections on the drive units. I bought 5m each of red and black AN-D respectively, allowing a good margin for experimentation and error.

  10. #80
    Join Date: Jun 2010

    Location: S .Herts, UK

    Posts: 47
    I'm Adrian.

    Default

    Hi All

    So, it seem s like there are a couple of interested parties in building a set or restoring a set of Lockwood Majors. I also saw that advert ,and got a bit put off by the way the ad ran.Translations, no proper cab match,where were they located? Maybe they WERE OK and the matching may have been just superficial? What do you think?

    Hey ,we have to break through now ,and get some definitive plans from somewhere.
    'The time for hesitation's thru' la la la la la la la laaaaaa
    Gotta get hold of a pair of Lockwoods from somewhere.(or the plans)

    Imaginative approach needed here.

    See YA

    ADRIAN

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •