+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 121

Thread: Tannoy Lancasters

  1. #61
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post

    I've learnt a bit recently about aperiodic vents such as those in the Lancasters - they should be resistive, not fully open, so I must try securing some thick felt over the vents. The speakers do sound truly awful with the vents completely open, so I'm hoping that they will behave like much larger cabinets if I get the resistive element right. From what I've read about aperiodic cabinet design, getting the vent right may mean that I could remove a great deal of the internal damping, replacing it with simple felt layers to control the worst internal reflections. Whatever I do, I'm keen not to carry out any surgery on the cabinets, just in case I do decide to move them on!
    Good idea and I hope the 15uF and 1uF capacitor will fit in the Tannoy crossover box because I would like to use the original one but to upgrade/replace the old components. I am also thinking about placing the crossover closer to the selectors because at the moment the speaker terminals are situated on the bottom of the back cover together with the crossover (which is not placed in a brown box, but in a grey). The speaker terminals are connected to the crossover with a black wire. From the crossover a rather thick white cable goes to the rotary selectors. There is another black cable that goes to the speakers. Both black cables enter/exit the crossover box on the same side.

    Your plan with the Lancaster cabinets are very interesting. Is that something similar to the method what is used with the Goodmans Axiom speakers? They use some kind of special grill at the "reflex" port.

    Maybe you could also try with a sponge instead of the felt material.

    May I ask why do you want to stick to the Lancaster cabinets and why aren't you interested in other cabinet designs, like Lockwood Major?

    Please keep us updated.

    Thanks,
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  2. #62
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    I am interested in other cabinet designs, including the Lockwoods, but the Lancasters are such a handy size that it seems sensible to give them their best chance to perform. My home is not large, so much bigger enclosures are not a good idea.

    Regarding the crossovers, I'm not touching the Tannoy original crossovers at all - these will remain in place inside their boxes, but not connected in any way. I will have to fit some decent 4mm binding posts at the rear of each speaker, but these will just feed the completely new crossovers, which are to be built up on small plywood boards, and connected to the Monitor Gold drive units using original Tannoy 4 pin connectors (procured from eBay).

    I have hopes that the Lancasters can do much better with only modest expenditure. If they don't, I will have an almost original pair of speakers in pretty much mint condition to move on.

  3. #63
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,358
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    The Tannoys in Lancs I believe can be improved no end. One thing I would do though is to ditch the original 4 pin connector.. hard wire to the driver. Doing that is totally reversible if you indeed want to sell on the speakers.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

  4. #64
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    The Tannoys in Lancs I believe can be improved no end. One thing I would do though is to ditch the original 4 pin connector.. hard wire to the driver. Doing that is totally reversible if you indeed want to sell on the speakers.
    I agree - using the 4 pin connectors is a temporary convenience measure while I'm fiddling around with the crossovers. I suspect that the tweeter cabling is pretty ropey, which is another reason for hard wiring direct to the drivers.

  5. #65
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    I agree - using the 4 pin connectors is a temporary convenience measure while I'm fiddling around with the crossovers. I suspect that the tweeter cabling is pretty ropey, which is another reason for hard wiring direct to the drivers.
    I was also thinking to hardwire the speakers to the crossovers but I am a bit afraid and confused about doing this, especially the tweeter, because I think their connection points are more sensitive and I am afriad to solder them.
    If you say it is not a problem to desolder the old wires and to solder in new ones I think I might give it a try and solder in a good qaulity wire. Since we are talking about couple centimeres length, I would even buy a Kondo wire for it.

    Or do you suggest to directly connect the tweeter part to the new crossover and totally leave out the 4 pin connector? I was planning to clean the connector. It is very comfortable and maybe I could modify them to use silver pins in it.
    What or which type and brand of wire would you recommend for the tweeter and which for the woofer part?

    Thanks!
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  6. #66
    Join Date: Sep 2010

    Location: Budapest, Hungary

    Posts: 313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    I am interested in other cabinet designs, including the Lockwoods, but the Lancasters are such a handy size that it seems sensible to give them their best chance to perform. My home is not large, so much bigger enclosures are not a good idea.
    Do you have any information or plan for the Lockwood Major cabinets?
    If you do have, please send me PM.

    Thanks and regards,
    System

    Turntable: fully restored Sony PS-X9 with PUA-9 tonearm

    SUTs: Dynavector DV-6A, Nagatron, Cotter and 72Audio

    Cartridges: too many to list all... BARCO/EMT HSD6, ELAC EMC v.d.Hul (dual layer coil former), Onlife Research (Dynavector) OMC-22, Fidelity Research FR-1MK3F, Sony XL-55Pro

    Tape Deck: Denon DR-M44HX

    Reel to reel: Lyrec Frida mk1 and mk2

    Amps, Preamps, Power amps: Luxman L-570Z's, Luxkit A505, Elekit TU-8500, DIY Kondo M7, Sony TA-N7B, Audio Note kits EL84PP

    Cables: Auditorium A23 speaker cables, A23, Mogami and some DIY interconnects

    Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Warwick cabinets with modified crossovers

    Power: Accuphase PS-1200

  7. #67
    Join Date: Jan 2009

    Location: Norwich

    Posts: 2,810
    I'm Hugo.

    Default

    As it happens, I may be able to measure a Lockwood Major cabinet, so please wait out for the moment.

    Regarding speaker wiring, I am using Audio Note AN-D internal speaker cable, which is a relatively cheap, good quality copper cable. I shall use it on both woofer and tweeter, initially using the 4-pin plug, but when I'm happy with the crossover circuit, I'll solder the wires directly to the terminals on the drive unit.

  8. #68
    Join Date: Jun 2009

    Location: Hove Actually

    Posts: 3,947
    I'm Imjustsurviving.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    As it happens, I may be able to measure a Lockwood Major cabinet, so please wait out for the moment.

    Regarding speaker wiring, I am using Audio Note AN-D internal speaker cable, which is a relatively cheap, good quality copper cable. I shall use it on both woofer and tweeter, initially using the 4-pin plug, but when I'm happy with the crossover circuit, I'll solder the wires directly to the terminals on the drive unit.

    I would be interested in the dims of a lockwood as well

    Copper is the way forward, don't go for silver
    Jon


    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.




    Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

  9. #69
    Join Date: Jun 2008

    Location: N. Ireland

    Posts: 2,475
    I'm Steve.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
    I would be interested in the dims of a lockwood as well

    Copper is the way forward, don't go for silver
    I am trying to find them for you. don't hold your breath though as Lockwood do not have the plans they have told me.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.


    FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

  10. #70
    Join Date: Sep 2009

    Location: Derbyshire

    Posts: 9,358
    I'm Josie.

    Default

    +1 for the Lockwood plans if thats ok.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

    Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •