+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647

Thread: Confession Time - First Live Gig & First Record Bought

I'm Werner.

Andy,

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Dancin Donkey Walker View Post
    what was the first live band you saw and what was the first record you bought
    first live gig: The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Konzerthaus, Vienna, 1969
    first single: The Marmalade: Ob-la-di ob-la-da
    first LP: Free: Fire and water

Werner.
    Mac OS X iTunes → Schiit Bifrost DAC → Yamaha AX-592 → Triangle Zays XS Grand Angle | AKG K712 Pro headphones | my last.fm profile

I'm Mark.

My first single was Marc Bolan and 20th Century Boy.
    My first LP was Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak
    My first gig was Chuck Berry in 75/76 at the Liverpool Empire
    Cheers
    Mark

I'm Jehode.

First live gig: Jethro Tull in some barn(?) somewhere in or around Monmouth. I dont know how old I was, I got smuggled in by older friends. All I remember was thinking it was too loud and too hot and I wasnt particularly impressed. I did enjoy the bass though, it must have been Glen Cornick at the time.
    First real proper live gig: Soon after (if my memory serves me well) I saw Chicken Shack in Beaufort Ballroom (Ebbw Vale area), excellent.
    first single: Bought my first single at the age of around 30 (it just wasnt done to buy singles when I was a kid rocker) it was Tulls Under Wraps ep.
    First LP: Tull (again!) Stand Up.
    My elder statesmen are....
    Gyrodec, Rotel RCD965BX, Quad 33 303, Rotel something or other integrated (recently defunct, ), Acoustic Energy Aegis 1, bits of Linn speaker cables, all of Atacama spkr stands
    Taking up space in my memory are the bits that no longer work: Dual deck, Rotel RB/RC850, AR18BX. Do they make em like that anymore?

I'm Dan.

OK, since this thread seems to also be the 'last concert went to' thread, I need to play catch up....

since I last posted, I've seen quite a few!

Roger Waters - The Wall.... There's quite a lot posted about this one already, but I'll just say it was amazing, but I wish I'd got to see the one with Dave Gilmour...

Primus at Brixton Academy 13/07...
    I've always wanted to see Primus, but they so rarely play this country. It was a real treat, absolutely breathtaking musicianship, great banter, fantastic atmosphere, varied setlist, even some new songs. Probably in my top 10 concerts ever.

Iron Maiden at NIA Birmingham 31/07
    Another band I'd surprisingly never seen before considering how long I've been into them (since I was 11 if you're interested!) Airbourne supported which was a nice surprise, and then Maiden ploughed through a long set filled with a variety of songs from a large chunk of their career, and a healthy portion of their excellent new(ish) album. I enjoyed it that much that it didn't matter that they didn't play most of their biggest hits (no Run To The Hills, no Can I Play With Madness, no Bring Your Daughter To The Slaughter).

Cropredy Festival (11th, 12th, 13th August)
    My first time at Cropredy, I'll mention some of the highlights:

Fairport Convention - A short acoustic set to open the festival, and a 3 hour set to close it. Included various guest appearances including Ralph McTell. They played a complete version of their amazing 1971 concept album 'Babbacombe Lee', and most of their excellent new album.

Katriona Gilmore & Jamie Roberts. - This is the second time I've seen these, and the second time I got to meet them afterwards. I recommend these heartily:

The Travelling Band. I saw these at the moseley folk festival a couple of years ago, and they were good. At Cropredy, they were GREAT. Think an English Fleet Foxes.

Seasick Steve - I'm sure most of you know who he is, but he played a long set of down and dirty rootsy blues, and he was accompanied by JOHN PAUL JONES!

Hayseed Dixie were great, they act like a joke band, but my God they can play.

oh course it can't all be good, UB40 were there

I'm Dan.

Well it's festival time again, Moseley Folk Festival to be exact.

A bit of a slow start to the festival this year, there seem to be a lot of dull indie type bands there instead of folk bands which is a shame.

9Bach were far and away the best group of the early part of yesterday, a Welsh folk/indie band who sang quite stark, bleak, but beautiful traditional Welsh folk songs.

among the dull (in my opinion naturally) bands were Mariner's Children, Crystal Fighters, and The Villagers.

Then we had a folk / electronica crossover group called Malpas who were quite impressive. Think Hot Chip mixed with Depeche Mode and Four Tet.

Gruff Rhys was on next, and I didn't really know what to expect. I am very keen on Super Furry Animals, but I'd never heard of any of his solo stuff, but after the performance I will definitely be giving it a listen. He did an acoustic set with one of the girls from 9Bach, accompanied only by at various points: a record player, a metronome, the beat from a casio keyboard, and during a particularly psychedelic bit, a vuvuzela. Brilliant.

Headlining yesterday was Badly Drawn Boy.
    I've just had a look at my previous post about Cropredy festival, and I seem to have omitted that he was there as well. For Moseley, he played a similar, but slightly extended set, a mix of songs from throughout his career, including some from an upcoming project for a soundtrack to a new De Niro film. We got right to the front for this, which was much better, because at Cropredy we were unable to, and therefore got irritated by people talking through the quiet subdued performance. He played some covers: 'I Wanna Be Adored', 'Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want' and finished on a duet with a recording of himself of 'Thunder Road.'

I'll report back on the rest soon!

I'm steve.

1st gig...crystal palace garden party may 31st '71...quiver,mountain,faces,pink floyd
    1st lp-jethro tull-benefit

I'm notAlone.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer69 View Post
    1st lp-jethro tull-benefit
    Dimitri.

In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    George Orwell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 47 FirstFirst ... 37454647